Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: East Fork Trout Licorice as bait?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default East Fork Trout Licorice as bait?

I was scouting out the East Fork of the San Gabriel River, and I met a gold prospector who said people use black licorice for bait to catch trout. Does anyone have any information on that and what kind of licorice works best? This is new territory for me.

lol a gold prospector hahaha that just sounds old timey i dint know gold prospecting was a thing anymore.

yea i have hear about the black licorice before although i have never tried it. the reason people say it works is cuz black licorice is anise flavored candy and supposedly anise oil is a good dip for bait, i only say supposedly cuz i have only ever read that and have never seen anyone use it or even talk about it.

There is a lot of gold prospecting on the East Fork. There are folks there that make their living from digging up gold from the river. I saw two guys loading their, what I guess you would call a flume, and then there was this other guy who told me about the licorice. With the price of gold so high now you don't need to find much to really clean up.

I am just wondering if there is some licorice considered better than others, and how it's to be put on the hook. I know it contains anise flavoring, but the whole idea of using licorice candy for bait seems strange to me, especially to catch wild trout from a stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    There is a lot of gold prospecting on the East Fork. There are folks there that make their living from digging up gold from the river. I saw two guys loading their, what I guess you would call a flume, and then there was this other guy who told me about the licorice. With the price of gold so high now you don't need to find much to really clean up.

I am just wondering if there is some licorice considered better than others, and how it's to be put on the hook. I know it contains anise flavoring, but the whole idea of using licorice candy for bait seems strange to me, especially to catch wild trout from a stream.
    i kinda thought there wasn't much gold left up in dem dar hills. lol.

as for the licorice i would think if it smells good and tastes good the fish will eat it wild or not. why do wild trout take power bait. i would assume you just wacky rig or nose hook a section on a drop shot set up.

and as it is in the water it will start to get soggy and give off a sent trail. hmmm the more i think about this the more im wondering why i haven't seen this used before.

I used to fish east fork in the 70's at that time it would be stocked with nice trout in the winter months, but don't think it happens any more. As far as licorice for bait it just might be good. There is gold in them thier hills, people have been panning the stream for ever but don't get much from it.

you can always get the ones at the registers at bass pro... the only thing is that id probablly eat them all before i get to the place i was fishing..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I was scouting out the East Fork of the San Gabriel River, and I met a gold prospector who said people use black licorice for bait to catch trout. Does anyone have any information on that and what kind of licorice works best? This is new territory for me.

surprised he didn't try 2 sell u beach front property on the moon lol. I've caught em on cigarette butts dude, but whatever gives u a willy is fine