Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 7lb 7oz'er in low water & rain

Default 7lb 7oz'er in low water & rain

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7lb-7oz.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	27364
    Hit a few spots today with a soft jerk bait, but no luck.....until it started raining.

It had just started to rain, and my line went taut. At first, I thought that I had snagged someones broken line on the bottom, but then it took off down stream. To my suprise, I had a 24" cat on the line. Possibly foul hooked, I didn't get a chance to check because it popped off as soon as I pulled it out of the water.

So I checked my bait to see that it was properly rigged & started throwing again. Same thing happened again about 200' up stream, this time I made sure to set the hook proper. And this time, I had what I was looking for on the end of my line. A 7lb 7oz striper, that was in the mood for a fight. It was a long haul from the water to the top of the duct.

The water was shallow, it was overcast, and it had just started to rain. The only thing in her belly was one Gobi.

Sweet! WTG!!

Way to find the loners. Maybe they are starting to move out of the caves and search even if the water is low? They have no choice. Cool to see some other low water catch. Were you able to see bottom where you were fishing or was it some of the slightly deeper water area that is still low though?

Nice work. I am still a little bummed about the skunk. Next time.

Quote Originally Posted by adicfor View Post
    Nice work. I am still a little bummed about the skunk. Next time.
    You'll get use to it!

I could see the bottom pretty well. We actually saw a school of about 12 crusing up stream, but they were babies. Maybe 12" max. I never saw the one that I hooked though, I was walking & casting up stream about 40'. We estimated the water depth to be somewhere around 4'-5'.

That is very cool. Maybe the cloud cover is what brought them out of the "caves"?