Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duct Loner Hooked

Default Duct Loner Hooked

Took the long way to work this morning and stopped by a few spots in the far west AV. It started with water level at 12' close to home and slowly started working its way down to about 5' deep at the lowest I saw. Had no hopes of getting bit or even catching a fish but I managed to pull one off. Water was probably only 6' deep at one spot and I cast out and first cast get nailed and fish on. There's barely any water in the thing. I am now thinking how I will land it cause I'm not going down that steep slope. It was a decent size too so I just decide to drag it up the side and hope my 15lb Cabelas flouro holds. I knew my knot would hold. I start to drag it up and keep some bend in my rod to take some of the tension and stress off the line and I manage to slid and sling it up. Another nice fish hits the asphalt.

Poor striper was out all alone cause when the water drops and gets drained like this the stripers bail and hide in special places that lures can't get to. I was so shocked to even nail one but I will take it. Got him on a soft jerk bait. Didn't throw the tickler when I saw the water was shallower than my swimming pool. No other biters anywhere. Like I said, I'm shocked this straggler was even around. Found a KPN and a bucktail at one spot way down low on the ladder rungs. No other lures spotted anywhere else I stopped. The duct is going to suck until the water is back up. Will add pics later on when I get home and get them off my camera.

Everyone go to Bakersfield!

The loner fish

The gate that had icicles last week is 8' out of the water so no icicles can form now.

Low water 1

Low water 2

Low water 3
    Last edited by yolo; 12-02-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added pics

How far west did you make it? Did you make it past my neck of the woods? I planned on going out this evening but not if the water is that low. Maybe I can get some of my lures back tho.

I went all the way to I-5 and came down that to my shop in the SF Valley. I don't know where your neck of the woods is but I'll guess you go either to Johnson or Munz. Johnson was about 9' or 10' of water. Didn't hit Munz but I'm guessing same or a little lower. It really dropped at 195th and there was maybe 7' of water? Lancaster road was about 6' and then 280th was 5' on the backside and maybe 9' on the front side. Talked to the water guy driving by and said it was going to drop some more and will be down for a few weeks. I actually came upon this info a couple of weeks ago at an early Thanksgiving party from a guest that was also at the party that I met. I knew about it but kept it to myself. I didn't think such a large area would be drawn down though. Water was still moving though and at a pretty good pace but it's just super shallow.

Thanks. Munz and Johnson are my areas but i also go west from there. Thanks for the info.

damn yolo... ive got a bucket in my backyard that still has a little rain water in it. can you cruise by and see if there's any stripers in it ?! :)

good job on finding ANYTHING in those conditions

Everyone go to Bakersfield![/QUOTE]

yolo it aint any better in bako water level has droped about a foot and for some reason theres alot of salad there again i was there the day before yesterday it was perfect no weeds went there again last night and every cast the lures were picking up a hole lot of weeds i dont know what thats about.

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    damn yolo... ive got a bucket in my backyard that still has a little rain water in it. can you cruise by and see if there's any stripers in it ?! :)

good job on finding ANYTHING in those conditions
    Let's go fish the bucket :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo818 View Post
    Everyone go to Bakersfield!
    yolo it aint any better in bako water level has droped about a foot and for some reason theres alot of salad there again i was there the day before yesterday it was perfect no weeds went there again last night and every cast the lures were picking up a hole lot of weeds i dont know what thats about.[/QUOTE]

A foot is nothing out there considering it is nearly twice as deep. Check the pics out that I added to my post. Now that is a serious water level drop and change. I could have jumped in and not been under water.

That is low. I am going to bring my skateboard tonight incase its completely dry by the time i get there. Nice fish as usual.

That or an inner tube. Looks like a fun water slide.

down for a few weeks ?

im gonna have withdrawls :(

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast