Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clemente and a few bass 6,7,8,9,& 10 lbs...

wat did you catch them on??? i`m going on a deep sea fishing boat soon and would like to catch some calico bass

Nice fish. Never been there before. Do charters go there? Is it here? did you release or keep? Thanks for the report.

Cheers

photshop the backround to not show your secret spot. NICE

hhaha good job.

NICE CATCH :thumb:

Nice Cali's man, great job.

Thanks guys.

On the blurring of the background it's like this.

First, I like to take photos using natural light. Since the lighting direction dictated we take photos with the island in the background, we took some of the shots that way. Later in the day, as the sun moved west, we could take shots with only the water in the background.

Calicos over 6,7,8lbs, etc.. are quite old, 15,20, 25+ years by some estimates. I feel fish this size and age fish should be released, this is just my opinion. These are the big females and are the key breeding stock in the calico population.

I had only fished Clemente 2 times before this trip and was fortunate enough to have received some dope on where to fish for big calicos at Clemente. This info came from a few guys that never post anywhere and have been fishing the island for years.

Since some of the photos had very distinguishing landmarks in them and out of respect to these guys spots and the info they gave me, I wanted to show the fish we caught and not the exact spot.

Why?? In the past I have posted photos of where I caught spotted bay bass, surf fishing photos, calicos at Catalina, etc... and the next day 20-30 guys have been on that spot with 5 gallon buckets or in their boats, keeping everything they caught. ...and when one of them comments, hey we saw your post yesterday, etc.., etc... I then feel responsible for that area being worked clean.

I think most of the folks here that actively participate in the forums do not take this approach to keeping everything that comes up on a hook, but there are SO MANY lurkers that do not contribute and are only looking for an easy day of fishing (in other words they cannot find their own fish- kinda like me at Clemente :wink: ) that I am in no way looking to help them out. While Clemente is a big island, it doesn't take too long for a few boats to come in with bait and have an impact on fish this big and old!

As with this and a few other posts in the past, I received many PM's asking questions about the location, baits, etc... and I responded and tried to help folks out. I have no problems doing that as I have received the same help from many others on this site!

Sorry for the long winded reply but thats my story and I'm sticking to it :D .

Yes, charters do run to the island. The one boat that fishes calicos over at the island probably better than any other "party type" boat is Mike Thompson on the Amigo. He's a good guy, can put you on fish and will ask you to release the older, larger fish. But there are plenty other options at Clemente, Yellowtail, WSB, rockfish, etc...

All our fish were caught on the Tady 45 surface Iron in Amber color.

Thanks
    Ed

Those are some really quality Calicos you guys got there, nice work!

Default ay

ay wat type of bait did u use/lures

Quote Originally Posted by Bashman
    I really don't get why you would try and hide your spot.
    It's the fricken ocean!! Not a pond!

What ever floats your boat. :roll:
    Because he's hiding them from you .

seriously guys b4 u ask what kinda bait/lure used read the report he has said
    at least twice in this thread that he used and amber tady 45 the report isnt just a picture book read it b4 asking questions....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast