Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: bonita

Default bonita

well i was on a charter off of diana point and one of the guys caught a nice little bonita and won the jackpot on the boat and i would like to know what you guys think might be the best thing to use for catching them jig wise if they come to jigs it was my first saltwater trip so i don`t know much about saltwater :oops:

anything shiny, iron, krocadile, i have caught them and anything that a mac will hit pretty much. i have most on a small blue and white iron. hope that can help a bit.

thanks

Get yourself a Lucky Craft 110 Flashminnow in Aurora Black, Metallic Sardine, Mackrel. Buy a pack of extra hooks, size 6. If they are biting, you will kill them with the LC. Take out the middle hook. Less bothersome to unhook the fish.

i kill em' with megabait jigs in the black/silver and blue mac http://www.extremelures.com/index.asp?P ... &ProdID=11

these type jigs work best for me for the bonito. ive cought cuda and sandies with them too.

i use the 4" length ones

these braid slammer jigs work good too but they seem to peel easily :?
    http://www.castawaylakes.com/Slammer790.html try anything shiny blue and chrome.

For a bonita I recommend a good job, a car, a nice smile and an outgoing personality.

For a bonito, kastmasters work well.

:wink: :wink:

Later,
    Scott

Forget lucky crafts bro, when you lose one on a mack or get it bit off by a 'cuda It'll hurt. go to wally world and pick up 5 renagade lures (they have blue,yellow and orange bodys) for 10$
    you don't have to mess with the hooks and they kill the bonita, I was at Belmont pier this past weekend and my buddy "Trey" was hooking up every cast, :shock: next to guys throwing twin feathers for bonita :lol: It was sick :D

Thats my :2cents: ,
    KJ13 8)

When bonito are biting, they bite; now the secret is out. Jigs are great and I would suggest all of the above if you want to spend the money. If not, they will bite most all bait. My most effective lures have been freshwater Rebel crankbaits in black/white that I bought out of Turners clearance area for about $2-3 each.

I was in Catalina Saturday 8/18. A sardine on a 2/0 hook with a 1 oz eggsinker and fluorocarbon leader placed in the rod holder while I was fishing plastics for Calico was very effective.

Just go have fun and fish; if the Bonito are around they will let you know!

PS. They are almost as much fun as yellowtail when they are the right size.

Default Try flies

If you've ever wanted to give fly fishing a try, do yourself a favor and don't start out by trying to stalk wary trout on a creek - you'll drive yourself crazy. Just get a 7 or 8wt rod, with a sinking line, and 3' of 10lb mono or floro for leader. Get a couple "Lefty's Deceivers" in blue/white or olive/white. Just troll around. No need to cast. Bones love flies, and you will love catching them on a fly rod.

Poor mans tuna? Maybe. But a heck of a lot of fun!