Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayaking SBI

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    LOL is that a BBZ on a Spinner?
    Yep You got that right

It's on a Sabre spinning rod with a the new model Penn 560 that's designed for spectra. I'm running 30 powerpro spliced to ten feet of Seagar 25 fluorocarbon. BBZs cast great on spinning gear if you have the right rod for it, with spectra you can get a lot more casting distance with spinners then you can get from conventional gear, and you don't have to worry about a backlash snapping off a thirty dollar bait.

I grew up fishing stripes with surf rods and spinning reels in the south, so I'm used to fishing stripers with spinners. Now with the new reels you can fish heavier line and with the low memory and small diameter of spectra you get a lot more distance which is important for kayaking or shore casting.

I've got a ton of conventional gear, but for stripers unless I'm deadsticking or trolling, I've gone back to spinning gear, though I'll admit I'm now using spectra rather then straight mono, because it casts so well.

Lots of guys are already doing it, for instance the current freshwater striped bass record was taken on a spinning reel and spectra setup at San Louis in the O'neal forebay. Something like 70 pounds on a Daiwa Loomis combo, and I think that guy was fishing powerpro as well.

Maybe it hasn't caught on local at Castaic.....yet... but it will.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Day; 11-07-2010 at 09:57 AM.

That must have been a blast out there, thanks for sharing the adventure...serious fish slay on the sleds!

TD

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
    Yep You got that right

It's on a Sabre spinning rod with a the new model Penn 560 that's designed for spectra. I'm running 30 powerpro spliced to ten feet of Seagar 25 fluorocarbon. BBZs cast great on spinning gear if you have the right rod for it, with spectra you can get a lot more casting distance with spinners then you can get from conventional gear, and you don't have to worry about a backlash snapping off a thirty dollar bait.

I grew up fishing stripes with surf rods and spinning reels in the south, so I'm used to fishing stripers with spinners. Now with the new reels you can fish heavier line and with the low memory and small diameter of spectra you get a lot more distance which is important for kayaking or shore casting.

I've got a ton of conventional gear, but for stripers unless I'm deadsticking or trolling, I've gone back to spinning gear, though I'll admit I'm now using spectra rather then straight mono, because it casts so well.

Lots of guys are already doing it, for instance the current freshwater striped bass record was taken on a spinning reel and spectra setup at San Louis in the O'neal forebay. Something like 70 pounds on a Daiwa Loomis combo, and I think that guy was fishing powerpro as well.

Maybe it hasn't caught on local at Castaic.....yet... but it will.

Jim
    If it works well for you then that's good, just keep an eye out for line twists. Spinners are completely free of error.

sweet!
    epic report there!
    Gotta get me back out to SBI

Thanks for the great report and all the pictures.
    I have yet to head out to the "Lil Island" but will some day.

Thanks Again,
    Robert
    <><

Jim & Norm,
    Congrats on a fine day of fishing & catching with friends.
    Norm told me about the day of fishing you guys had at SBI.
    Nice catch guys!

Khanh aka KPN.

awesome report! It just made my day at work that much better! thanks for sharing!!!

You guys killed it. Long version is very much appreciated! Its a real treat reading about your kayak adventure. Congrats!

Default Wow!

J.D., that's the coolest report I've read in a long time, thanks!
    Welcome to FNN and looking forward to more of your reports.

Very nice read and pis that BSB must of been really tuff from a sled.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast