Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 10 ft tracker jon

Default 10 ft tracker jon

what is the best and lightest outboard i can use on my little 10 ft tracker jon boat, the tag on boat says 3 hp max. should i go with 2 stroke, or 4 stroke, any manufactuer best, as for as weight, price, dependability,etc. thanks for any help
    Last edited by longj; 10-28-2010 at 05:08 PM.

If the boat says 3hp max, that's what I would go with. If I want to push it, maybe a 5hp.

if you go 2stroke you can go up to 10hp
    4 stroke maybe 6hp
    my boat is rated for 70max i been running a 115 on it for the passed few moths

I do believe it is illegal to over power your boat.

On outboard boats, the capacity plate also will display the recommended maximum horsepower rating of the boat. Your boat's motor should never exceed this rating

http://www.boat-ed.com/ca/course/p2-...urcapacity.htm

2 hp – 3.5 hp (Less than 40 lbs)
    These small outboards are now available primarily in 4-stroke configurations only - due to 2006 EPA regulations which require all outboard manufacturers to produce cleaner more efficient outboards. Many 2-strokes were sold in the U.S. for years prior to these laws going into effect and will be around for many years to come. However, look for four-strokes to dominate the future as many waterways and municipalities across the U.S. continue to ban the use of 2-stroke outboards that do not meet emission standards. This hp range is common among portable boats such as canoes, folding boats, inflatable boats, dinghies/dinks, tenders, 8-10ft jon boats and other small/light watercraft. Outboards in this hp range are also ideal for small sailboats and small pontoon boats as many are offered in 20” long shaft lengths. Engines in this range are typically 1-cylinder. Outboards in this range will typically be limited to forward-only gears or forward-neutral gears (these engines spin 360 degrees). Outboards in this range are very portable with features such as built-in integral fuel tanks, and convenient carrying handles. They are lightweight and compact in design and can be easily transported.

What you can expect:
    Will propel most hulls at approx. 5-10 mph
    Alternative to electric trolling motors with signifcantly more power
    In auxiliary or kicker motor applications, hulls less than 700 lbs and under 15ft can reach troll speeds
    Engines are very lightweight, compact, and very easily transported

4 – 5 – 6 hp (40-60 lbs)
    These engines are now available primarily in 4-stroke configurations only - due to 2006 EPA regulations which require all outboard manufacturers in the U.S. to produce cleaner more efficient outboards. This hp range is ideal for a variety of application including small inflatable boats up to 11ft in length, portable folding boats, larger canoes, 8-11ft dinghies/dinks, tenders, and jon boats up to 12ft. Hulls such as these typically weigh between 50-250lbs and require a short shaft (15” shaft length). All outboards in this hp range should also be available in 20” long shaft configurations which is ideal for sail boat power and auxiliary kicker motor applications for hulls less than 20ft in length. Engines in this hp range are typically 1-cylinder, although some 2-cylinders do exist. A heavy person or more than one person in a hull in this hp class can have a dramatic effect on hull performance making planning difficult. Engines in this hp range feature heavier duty construction and enhanced maneuverability features such as forward-neutral-reverse gears. These engines may have integral fuel tanks or separate fuel tanks depending on year, make, and model as they were offered in a variety of configurations.

DISCLAIMER: The following information is representative of our opinion only and should not be relied upon solely to select an outboard hp. Many factors affect a hull's performance and all factors should be considered. Factors include hull weight, load, persons, hull design, shape, material, boating conditions, and application. Most hulls have a minimum and maximum hp rating. Horsepower ratings can vary dramatically (i.e., two hulls equal in length may have maximum hp ratings of 10 and 25). The limits set fourth by the hull's manufacturer should be strictcly observed. Failure to observe hp ratings set fourth by the hull manufacturer could result in injury or death. For the most current and accurate information consult the hull's manufacturer.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Choos...-Outboard.html