Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Salamander Sinkers  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: CF Number and DMV Sticker Placement Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Torrance, CA

    Default CF Number and DMV Sticker Placement Question

    I finally got my Bassraider 10E registered! It's my first ever boat and I have a question about the CF number placement. i already got the Green CA Sticker from the DMV and the CF numbers from Home Depot. My question is do I put the green sticker from the DMV before the CF number (reading right to left) or the Green sticker last like this:
    My friend who has owned has owned several boats said the green dmv sticker should go first. Who is right? Does it even matter?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Rat Beach


    Yes it matters.

    Check this website for pics.

    The Legal Requirements of Boating

    Your Vesselís Certificate of Number and Stickers

    Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In California, you must have a Certificate of Number (registration certificate), a Certificate of Ownership and registration stickers for your vessel, whether used or only moored. The only recreational vessels that do not require registration are:

    Vessels propelled manually
    Sailboards and other vessels 8 ft. or less in length propelled solely by sail
    Vessels currently registered in another state and not kept in California for more than 90 consecutive days
    Vessels documented with the United States Coast Guard
    Foreign vessels
    Application to register a vessel may be made at any office of the Department of Motor Vehicles or by writing:

    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Registration Processing Units
    P. O. Box 942869
    Sacramento, California 94269-0001

    Upon receipt of the required information and fees, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will issue a Certificate of Number (registration certificate), a Certificate of Ownership, and a set of registration stickers.

    This registration certificate must be on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the vessel is in use.

    The registration number and stickers must be displayed as follows:

    Number must be painted, applied as a decal or otherwise affixed to both sides of the forward half of the vessel where it can be easily read.
    Number must read from left to right and be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
    Numberís color must contrast with its background.
    Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen. For example:
    CF 5573 JS or CF-5573-JS.
    No other numbers may be displayed in the vicinity of the registration number.
    Stickers must be affixed on both sides of the bow, three inches behind (towards the stern) and in line with the number.

    PWCs are also required to display the certificate's number and registration sticker.

    Other Facts About Registering Your Vessel
    A Certificate of Number is valid for two years.
    The Certificate of Ownership is your evidence of title to the vessel, and should therefore be kept in a safe place. The reverse side of the Certificate of Ownership is an application for transfer of ownership.
    Upon registration, your vessel may be subject to Use Tax based on the purchase price, if acquired out-of-state or from a private party.
    You are required to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles whenever any of the following takes place:
    The vessel is destroyed or abandoned. Notice must be given within 15 days and be accompanied by the Certificate of Number and Certificate of Ownership.
    The ownerís address has changed. Notice must be given within 15 days.
    The vessel is sold. Notice must be provided within five calendar days and include the date of sale, a description of the vessel, and the name and address of the new owner.
    Larger recreational vessels, owned by U.S. citizens, may (at the option of the owner) be documented with the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCGís Documentation Center at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels must have the vesselís name and hailing port displayed on the stern above the waterline. (Read more about obtaining the U. S. Coast Guard's "Certificate of Documentation".)
    Vessel Registration Questions?
    Call the California Department of Motor Vehicles at 1-800-777-0133 or visit online.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Torrance, CA


    Cool Beans! Thanx!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts