Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Successful line and baits for Corona Lake

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKiller View Post
    ... i remember you old school allcoastsportfishing reports....
    Thank you. Those were some fun posts!
    Good luck on that DD. She's waiting for you this year!

Quote Originally Posted by jiggaman View Post
    corona stocks better quality and more tailwalkers actually
    "
    So you have 2 different types of fish being stocked. Nebraska vs Mt. Lassen? How do you tell the difference? The Nebraska have a red gillplate and a dark red lateral line running down the side to the tail. They also have bottom pink fins as the Mt. Lassen fish have white fins. The meat in the Nebraska is an orangish salmon color. Mt. Lassen has pinkish/white meat that is nowhere near the great taste of the Nebraska trout. The Nebraska trout have full fins as the Mt. Lassen fish don't have much of a tail at all.

Corona and Santa Ana River lakes uses the name "Tailwalkers" strickly for advertisment purposes. The original name of these fish are called The Nebraska Husky Trout. Maybe Corona stockes bigger Nebraska fish than Santa Ana River Lakes because they are the first to receive the fish. The truck comes up and over the Cajon Pass.

All I can say is LMV stocked a lot of 5-7lb Nebraska fish last season. No in heck way will I use 2# line on these fish. They are too strong for the line. I caught at least 5 of them big ones last season. The Mt. Lassen fish even don't compare.

The San Diego lakes were stocking the Nebraska trout way before Santa River Lakes/Corona had caught on about the fish. Whitewater went out of business so Lake Mission Viejo was looking for a new hatchery and found the Nebraska hatchery in Bridgeport Nebraska.

Can you imagine Chaulk Mound Hatchery raising 10lb-20lb fish and delivering them to these lakes? Man! Fish that size would be very fun to bring in!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKiller View Post
    . no crappy palomars or dropper loops in trout fishing!!! trilene !!!!!! san diego jam!!!!!
    I honestly have never had a palomar fail me, from tuna all the way on down the line. I was at the Fred Hall Show and watched them test the various knots(you have prolly seen that demo before) and although the san diego jam was deemed the strongest, it just barely beat out the palomar. Maybe I should learn the sd jam, but I hardly think it deserves the description of "crappy". If anyone is busting palomar knots on trout they aren't trying them correctly.

A friend of mine has worked on a local 3/4 day boat for quite awhile now and swears by the dropper loop for all his drop shot rigs, seems to work just fine for him come weigh in time at the Vine tourneys....I'd like to think he knows what he's doing. To each his own I guess.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    I honestly have never had a palomar fail me, from tuna all the way on down the line. I was at the Fred Hall Show and watched them test the various knots(you have prolly seen that demo before) and although the san diego jam was deemed the strongest, it just barely beat out the palomar. Maybe I should learn the sd jam, but I hardly think it deserves the description of "crappy". If anyone is busting palomar knots on trout they aren't trying them correctly.

A friend of mine has worked on a local 3/4 day boat for quite awhile now and swears by the dropper loop for all his drop shot rigs, seems to work just fine for him come weigh in time at the Vine tourneys....I'd like to think he knows what he's doing. To each his own I guess.

TD
    I always buy a couple of knots in that contest. Fun stuff!
    People should tie knots that they're comfortable with. Always be on the lookout for something new and practice in until comfortable with it, and only then fish with it.
    I think a big problem with people breaking off a knot is that they don't lubricate it. You HAVE to wet it somehow, either lick it, dip it or whiz on it. Okay, prolly don't want to do the third, but it needs to be wet. You can burn a line so fast and when you're starting off with a hair it's easy to smoke it.
    BTW, Surgeon's/Roy Rose for droppers. I tie it in everything from 2-lb. all the way to 150-lb for grouper. Fast and easy, even in the dark, 100% or better breaking strength.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBass777 View Post
    "
    So you have 2 different types of fish being stocked. Nebraska vs Mt. Lassen? How do you tell the difference? The Nebraska have a red gillplate and a dark red lateral line running down the side to the tail. They also have bottom pink fins as the Mt. Lassen fish have white fins. The meat in the Nebraska is an orangish salmon color. Mt. Lassen has pinkish/white meat that is nowhere near the great taste of the Nebraska trout. The Nebraska trout have full fins as the Mt. Lassen fish don't have much of a tail at all.

Corona and Santa Ana River lakes uses the name "Tailwalkers" strickly for advertisment purposes. The original name of these fish are called The Nebraska Husky Trout. Maybe Corona stockes bigger Nebraska fish than Santa Ana River Lakes because they are the first to receive the fish. The truck comes up and over the Cajon Pass.

All I can say is LMV stocked a lot of 5-7lb Nebraska fish last season. No in heck way will I use 2# line on these fish. They are too strong for the line. I caught at least 5 of them big ones last season. The Mt. Lassen fish even don't compare.

The San Diego lakes were stocking the Nebraska trout way before Santa River Lakes/Corona had caught on about the fish. Whitewater went out of business so Lake Mission Viejo was looking for a new hatchery and found the Nebraska hatchery in Bridgeport Nebraska.

Can you imagine Chaulk Mound Hatchery raising 10lb-20lb fish and delivering them to these lakes? Man! Fish that size would be very fun to bring in!
    btw i have caught a lot of tailwalkers that dont have any fins at all lol but they still fight...corona is the best stocked pay lake hands down in my opinion

The Fred Hall Show has a booth with test your knot strength. I forget the name of the knot but it was the best one overall and it did better than the SD knot. The only thing is the booth charges $10.00 per try. If you get within the correct knot strength (by each number) they have a selection of prizes to choose from. The trolling tuna feathers were descent but all of the other prizes sucked. The knot breaking strength of most knots broke between 60-70. They set it up (SCAM) so most prizes were in that number system. It was disgusting just looking at the junk they were passing out. Just unusable junk! They had a spin wheel where your chances were better at winning a shirt.

For saltwater trips I tie a triple palomar knot. Haven't busted a fish off yet and it's not illustrated in any knot book. Started to tie knots one day and came up with it on my own.

I always hit the Friends of Rollo booth. $5 a knot, and the only prize is an entry into the finals contest if your break lands in the top three for each day. Nice prize packages if you make it to the finals (I did one year, nice usable stuff as prizes.) That booth that charges $10 a knot is questionable if you're looking for more than knowing what your knot broke at, or that you donated to a great cause.
    The knot that won the year I made it was called a "Micah" knot. Funny looking thing, much like a Hare's Ear fly, until it cinched down under load. The know held to 100% of the breaking point of the line, with the break coming about 4 inches below the knot. Took forever to tie. I can't imagine its usefulness in a normal fishing applications, certainly not tuna or trout fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by p3pp3r View Post
    Found this illustration for a good trout line setup on the web

Share your thoughts and tips on how to make this work well.
    That setup is my favorite for trout, works good.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345