Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Lake Mead Boils.

Default Lake Mead Boils.

Been fishing this lake for quite some time now at the 33 Hole, and lately there have been TONS of striper boils near the shore. Just got back not too long ago, and i got the skunk. Missed a hit on a top water shad looking lure. And i got a very close description of how big the fish was. A good one pounder id have to say.

These wipers are out there boiling like crazy. I just have to master on how to catch these bad boys. And just so you guys know, im only a saltwater fisherman. So im still a newb to the freshwater.

Just hang in there man you will get it. Just wondering where is the 33 hole and are you fishing from a boat or shore? I live in Vegas and would like to check this out.
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Just hang in there man you will get it. Just wondering where is the 33 hole and are you fishing from a boat or shore? I live in Vegas and would like to check this out.
    B
    Thanks Big B, i semi live out here in Vegas, and go home every weekend to cali. But i fish from the shore at 33 Hole. I take the 215 East all the way til it ends, and continue straight for another 6 miles til you get to the Fee Area, pay your $5 then continue driving straight for about a good 5 minutes, and youll see a sign "33 Hole" and itll be to your left. Park on the lot the goes straight, then hike down to the lake. Hope this helps.

LOTS of boils everywhere. Catfish boils too, they are in larger splashes. But more stiper boils thats for sure.

Are they boiling on shad? I know matching the hatch size wise with your lures makes a big difference. Swimbaits (shad colored) can be to big, try rattle traps and castmasters to if you have not already. I am always open to go hit this up any time after 3pm anyday let me know the next time you head down there and I will try and meet up.
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Are they boiling on shad? I know matching the hatch size wise with your lures makes a big difference. Swimbaits (shad colored) can be to big, try rattle traps and castmasters to if you have not already. I am always open to go hit this up any time after 3pm anyday let me know the next time you head down there and I will try and meet up.
    B
    Yes, I believe they are boiling on the shad. Is it possible to use a cast net from shore to catch some bait? Im seeing more boats drive by the spot, throwing cast nets.

Im usually there after 3pm as well, send me your number in a PM and I will for sure meet you at the spot. Im there atleast 3 times during the week.

-Arvil

The boils have been rather inconsistant this year out on Mead. I fish it several times a year but have a buddy that fishes it every week and I get the reports. Even if they are boiling on the surface there are tons of fish underneath them so if you are having problems getting them on top go with a shad imitation (yes those are shad) like a rattletrap or we like a Gulp curly tail grub in white with a darter head jig. You are bound to hook something up. I love the topwater too and you can try a Hedon Zarapuppy or spook in Gfinish or the silver.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    The boils have been rather inconsistant this year out on Mead. I fish it several times a year but have a buddy that fishes it every week and I get the reports. Even if they are boiling on the surface there are tons of fish underneath them so if you are having problems getting them on top go with a shad imitation (yes those are shad) like a rattletrap or we like a Gulp curly tail grub in white with a darter head jig. You are bound to hook something up. I love the topwater too and you can try a Hedon Zarapuppy or spook in Gfinish or the silver.
    Thanks for the tips Seal. Ill try out the dart heads and curlys next time. Thats what i was using yesterday, Hedon Zarapuppy, saw one wiper go for it, but it missed.

Another thing you could try that's worked for me (not at mead, but in boils) is get a 1 oz shad spoon, like the hopkins or revenge, cast them past the boil. Burn it on top the water until you hit the boil and let it sink down. It will get under the smaller boiling fish and give you a shot at the big fish picking off shad underneath the surface. Worth a shot if you cant get bit doing the above mentioned methods. Good luck!

Geoff