Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Castaic Lagoon Night Fishing 10-8. A Learning Experience...Skunked AND a $60 Ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Korin View Post
    Hi All,

If you read Michelle B’s post about our meeting at Castaic, you all know that we each left with a $60.00 parking ticket. No fish but a new fishing buddy.

I left Castaic at 8:00 heading to Mammoth Lakes. I Turned off the road near Tom’s Place at 12:30am for some sleep. In the morning I woke up to find that I had a flat tire (hole), I flagged down a father and son and they changed my tire . They also informed me that there was some really good fishing along the side of this road and a really nice lake about 6 miles up.

Now was not the time for fishing, I needed a new tire. I headed up to Mammoth and $123.00 later I had a new tire. A few days before this trip I was a victim of identity theft, so all I had with me was the cash I thought I would need. (I did not plan for the tire)

Now it’s time for fishing, I headed to my favorite spot bears and all. The last two times I’ve been here a bear has come looking for fish stringers. I fished for about an hour without even a bite, so I headed to Upper Twin Lakes for some float tubing.

The weather was perfect, I unloaded by gear a set it down next to the launch, when I realized that I had locked my keys in the car. Well it just so happened that I had fallen in the lake in August, when I rented a row boat for the fist time in my life. The woman that runs Twin Lake Store remembered me and loved my excitement over trout fishing and the fact that I laughed about the cold plunge that she called AAA for me and then told them to meet me at the boat launch because I would be fishing.

The woman fishing next to me caught 4 trout in about an hour and then she caught a big Alper. Her husband also caught a few. By the time Triple A came it was too cold to float tube but by then another
    Float tuber recognized me from my previous trip. He said I bumped into him with the row boat. I fished a little longer not catching even a bite however Wendy, the woman that caught the Alper invited me to have dinner with her and her husband Mike. It was the first time I’ve ever eaten trout with pink meat (Alper). Tasted like a light Salmon, it is now a favorite.

Day 2 - I decided to float tube Lake George, saw lots of fish and they saw me. Skunked!

Went back to Upper Twin armed with the locals secrets. I caught 3 and was so excited that I dropped my pole in the lake, it disappeared into reeds. I still had one pole left so on with the fishing. I left with 3 really nice trout and used snow to ice them down. One of the locals wanted to teach me how to properly gut fish so he cleaned them. I would never recommend what this “Dr”. did, all I can say is he does not fish humanely.

Day 3- I headed back to Upper Twin, unloaded my float tube and gear. Where are my waders?. How can anyone lose waders?. I checked with the store and she did not have my waders but she had the pole I lost in the lake, 2 guys fished it out for me.

I checked out a few more places and still did not find my waders, so I headed back to the area where I had the tire blow out. I went up to the lake and can I just say TROUT HEAVEN! Caught 5, all over ¾ lb and then it started to rain. Time to head back to Santa Monica with only $20.00 cash left and that is $8.00 short for gas. Monday was a bank holiday and I was now stressed. What am I going to do?. All I can say is thank God for Vons in Bishop, I was able to write a check and get cash back.

I made it home to cook, smoke and freeze some trout. Can’t wait to go back.

Korin
    Lady Loves to Fish
    Nice report. I hope I will find sometimes to learn the trout fishing. However, I am still learning how to catch striped bass on the top water lure.

Striped bass 0wns more then lmb !!

Thanks so much for sharing, you had me and my wife almost in tears of laughter.Its just that your thread brought memories of a fishing trip we had many many years ago! Keep learning the ropes.Good luck and thanks again!

In reply to Korin's report, Wow what a fishing trip. Nice read . Thanks for sharing .

Korin! Fantastic report full of adventure...and FISH!!
    And that's awesome that someone got your rod outta the water for you.

Wait.... Did you say you used SNOW to ice down the trout ya caught? Snow already?? Sheesh, you weren't kidding when you said you had to go last weekend or it would be "too late/too cold"!!!
    Last edited by MichelleBedore; 10-15-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin View Post
    Hi All,

If you read Michelle B’s post about our meeting at Castaic, you all know that we each left with a $60.00 parking ticket. No fish but a new fishing buddy.

I left Castaic at 8:00 heading to Mammoth Lakes. I Turned off the road near Tom’s Place at 12:30am for some sleep. In the morning I woke up to find that I had a flat tire (hole), I flagged down a father and son and they changed my tire . They also informed me that there was some really good fishing along the side of this road and a really nice lake about 6 miles up.

Now was not the time for fishing, I needed a new tire. I headed up to Mammoth and $123.00 later I had a new tire. A few days before this trip I was a victim of identity theft, so all I had with me was the cash I thought I would need. (I did not plan for the tire)

Now it’s time for fishing, I headed to my favorite spot bears and all. The last two times I’ve been here a bear has come looking for fish stringers. I fished for about an hour without even a bite, so I headed to Upper Twin Lakes for some float tubing.

The weather was perfect, I unloaded by gear a set it down next to the launch, when I realized that I had locked my keys in the car. Well it just so happened that I had fallen in the lake in August, when I rented a row boat for the fist time in my life. The woman that runs Twin Lake Store remembered me and loved my excitement over trout fishing and the fact that I laughed about the cold plunge that she called AAA for me and then told them to meet me at the boat launch because I would be fishing.

The woman fishing next to me caught 4 trout in about an hour and then she caught a big Alper. Her husband also caught a few. By the time Triple A came it was too cold to float tube but by then another
    Float tuber recognized me from my previous trip. He said I bumped into him with the row boat. I fished a little longer not catching even a bite however Wendy, the woman that caught the Alper invited me to have dinner with her and her husband Mike. It was the first time I’ve ever eaten trout with pink meat (Alper). Tasted like a light Salmon, it is now a favorite.

Day 2 - I decided to float tube Lake George, saw lots of fish and they saw me. Skunked!

Went back to Upper Twin armed with the locals secrets. I caught 3 and was so excited that I dropped my pole in the lake, it disappeared into reeds. I still had one pole left so on with the fishing. I left with 3 really nice trout and used snow to ice them down. One of the locals wanted to teach me how to properly gut fish so he cleaned them. I would never recommend what this “Dr”. did, all I can say is he does not fish humanely.

Day 3- I headed back to Upper Twin, unloaded my float tube and gear. Where are my waders?. How can anyone lose waders?. I checked with the store and she did not have my waders but she had the pole I lost in the lake, 2 guys fished it out for me.

I checked out a few more places and still did not find my waders, so I headed back to the area where I had the tire blow out. I went up to the lake and can I just say TROUT HEAVEN! Caught 5, all over ¾ lb and then it started to rain. Time to head back to Santa Monica with only $20.00 cash left and that is $8.00 short for gas. Monday was a bank holiday and I was now stressed. What am I going to do?. All I can say is thank God for Vons in Bishop, I was able to write a check and get cash back.

I made it home to cook, smoke and freeze some trout. Can’t wait to go back.

Korin
    Lady Loves to Fish
    Wheew...that was quite a read.....

Quite an outing..

Golad ya got on some of the trout : )

try 2-4 lb test and flyline 1/2 a crawler next time or a gold kastmaster....OR mini ligs n 2 lb test with an ultra light 7' rod....

Maybe try the upper & lower owens river and Pleaseant valley reservoir.

The last time I was there the trout were on fire.....landed many many each day...rainbows and browns and even a HUGE Alper...

can't beat the fresh trout dinner..

congrats

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345