Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Topwater KPN - walk the dog teqnique - HOW TO

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post

Was that a POCKET FISHERMAN burried down in that box???

ooooooYAAAAAAAAAA,,,,NICEEEEEEEE

TRAIL BLAZER
    It looks like one to me. That thing has to be a collectors item. Wonder what it's worth.

I caught a fish on one of those that I borrowed one time. 1 lb LMB, if I remember correctly.

Hey Gary, since it's alot harder for some of these guys to walk the KPN. Should you suggest that they use MONO or BRAID instead of %100 Flourocarbon. I understand it's your personal preference with the flyline dressing and all but I think it would be easier for a beginner with maybe 10-12lb mono. No desrespect towards you and your teachings? It's just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fishsniffin View Post
    Hey Gary, since it's alot harder for some of these guys to walk the KPN. Should you suggest that they use MONO or BRAID instead of %100 Flourocarbon. I understand it's your personal preference with the flyline dressing and all but I think it would be easier for a beginner with maybe 10-12lb mono. No desrespect towards you and your teachings? It's just a thought.
    Thats a good question but theres nothing wrong with Mono either, the reason I suggest the flouro revolves around a couple things, strength to line diameter...

Obviously stronger the line the better right ? yes

But line diameter makes a huge difference in castability, even from a boat to make sure your able to cast to the strike zone, thats basically why I recomend flouro....small line diameter and ultimate strength for that smaller diameter..

For years I used mono and theres nothing wrong with that, it's simply thicker diameter and a bit weaker.

Mono will do you fine if your getting the castabilty you seek out of it, you see there are actual reasons I mention what I mention but I totally realize that the flouro aint cheap (gods knows I am reminded of that painfully each time I re-spool)

Line diameter surely plays part in visibility as well which can be a huge difference.

Now regarding braid: I am slowly becoming a larger fan of it and use it in the bakersfield aqueduct almost religiously and I have tried it a handfull of times with my topwaters with success but I cannot proclaim to be an expert regarding braid and topwater yet as I have only used it for that purpose a handfull of times.

By all means, I'll remind you that anything I mention here is not law, it's simply what works for me, try things out, experiment, thats how you find your own nich and flare...

try them out and see how you like them, it's all about how YOU feel the line is performing at the end of the day.

I've tried scores of different lines and most of them have their place in the larger picture...

As for the flouro sinking more, this may or may not be true but I have not noted that myself but it does seem to make sense theoretically.

The flyline dressing trick will apply to all the lines but I wouldn't recomend it on the braid.

No disrespect taken, you should be thinking out of the box, that's how we learn and perfect things : )
    Gary
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 10-06-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishsniffin View Post
    P.S.
    I'll point out that you don't absolutely HAVE to use flyline dressing, in fact, I have not used it this year at all....not since last season but it accents the action your getting, it's a wonderfull trick

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post

Was that a POCKET FISHERMAN burried down in that box???

ooooooYAAAAAAAAAA,,,,NICEEEEEEEE

TRAIL BLAZER

Yesirreeeeeee! hehehe..good eye!!
    Last edited by MichelleBedore; 10-06-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: forgot the quotes again. :|

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    It looks like one to me. That thing has to be a collectors item. Wonder what it's worth.

I caught a fish on one of those that I borrowed one time. 1 lb LMB, if I remember correctly.
    I bought that at Goowill Thrift store about a year ago for like $5.99; it came with the instructions in the hook compartment too! I had one as a kid. You can still get them all day long on ebay...pretty cheaply too..check it out;
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pop....c0.m270.l1313

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleBedore View Post
    I bought that at Goowill Thrift store about a year ago for like $5.99; it came with the instructions in the hook compartment too! I had one as a kid. You can still get them all day long on ebay...pretty cheaply too..check it out;
    http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pop....c0.m270.l1313
    That's a little rich for my blood!

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    P.S.
    I'll point out that you don't absolutely HAVE to use flyline dressing, in fact, I have not used it this year at all....not since last season but it accents the action your getting, it's a wonderfull trick
    Wow, I can't imagine myself throwing Flourocarbon on any kind of walk-baits because you really have to be on point and very precise as to when to twitch the bait and carefully watch the slack to make it walk right. I've done flouro before on top-water but do not prefer it due to line sinking since I like to pause my baits. The fact that it is topwater, using braid or bigger mono shouldn't be a problem (but it's just my personal preference, I sacrafrice alittle more distance for easier wrist motion which equals less fatigue...LOL), everything else i use is flouro, but as you mention, at the end of the day it's what works for you and most comfortable with.

The only point I tried to make was that: for a beginner I would think that using mono would be easier and cheaper until they are familiar with the walking baits, then switch over to Flouro as they progress. Castability, Sensativety, Strength and Low Vision is definitely a plus when using flourocarbon. Thanks Gary.

I had 20 lb flourocarbon (yeah, I know, lol) hooked to the spook lure. The flourocarbon line was indeed cumbersome, and about 1/4 of the casts, the line uh...just flew off the reel like a spring and made a big fat mess. I finessed it a littler better over an hour or so and that's when we relocated and I put on the heddon spook to try the "walk the dog" . Tomorrow, I'm gonna use my lighter rod, which has 6 lb p-line mono with a about 15 ft. of 8 lb seaguar flourocarbon.
    I think I have the motion down, just want to smooth it out. Using the lighter line will be easier, eh? Maybe I'll catch a fish if I quit trying for TOO BIG of fish!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234