Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Croaker of the “Right” Kind. Another PB Falls + New Species. S.W.A.T. Saturday 10/2

Default A Croaker of the “Right” Kind. Another PB Falls + New Species. S.W.A.T. Saturday 10/2

With the rest of the S.W.A.T. Crew incarcerated with college, work and/or husbandly duties… Lieutenant Bones and I set off on a search & destroy mission this morning. Dropping into enemy territory at grey light looking for a fight.

Conditions: Overcast gloomy weather with thunder & lightning with late morning light rain. Incoming 4 ft high slack tide, light wind, 2-3 foot swells, fair water clarity, moderate salad, water temp 64 degrees, light baitfish presence.

Mission Duration: 6:30am – 11:00am

Techniques: Throwing hard baits and swim baits.

The enemy has been deploying some of their top officers into the battlefield to combat the S.W.A.T. advance… and they continue to fall. Another PB bites the dust today.
    Our adversaries are lucky that S.W.A.T. is mainly about “Catch & Release” not “Catch & Decease.”
    We will continue crush anything they throw at us!

Mike, we lost a couple of valuable ordinances today (LC’s), but it was worth the sacrifice. Always a pleasure going into combat with you my friend. Congrats on a multi-species day.

Until the next mission…

Have a great weekend everybody.

Arthur (Wingnut)

I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask, "Mother, what was war?" Unknown

Declassified mission photos…

Gearing up in the cover of darkness.

Lieutenant Bones, stop wasting ammo…

While working a set of submerged boiler rocks about 30 yards to the left of Mike, I saw some baitfish scatter and come flying out of the water about 20 yards out. With a flick of the wrist, the LC was right on top of all the commotion. No more than a few cranks on the Daiwa Luna handle and the LC stopped dead in its tracks. I could tell right away that I had something big on the other end of the line. The fish immediately went on a 8-10 second drag smoking run. Fishing in the vicinity of a lot of kelp and boiler rocks, I had my drag set pretty tight and this fish was still taking line with pure power. Mike ran over to me and asks, “What is it?!?” I replied, “Something big…” Knew right away that it wasn’t a Halibut with that kind of blistering speed. The fish was smart, kept heading for the boilers and some floating kelp mass… any structures that it could find. After about 5-6 minutes of careful maneuvering the fish around the obstacle course in the surf, I could tell that it was starting to succumb to my “Weapons of Mass Destruction” known as the Carrot Stix and Luna 253. LOL We finally get a glimpse of the fish towards the very end and I started to get nervous once I realize what it was… As soon as Mike said “Oh my God… it’s a huge White Sea Bass!” My heart started to go into overdrive. My thoughts went from, it’s probably a big Leopard Shark… no big deal, to Oh crap, I better get this thing on the sand… On the fish final pass in front of me in the surf, I saw that it was hooked solid with two of the three trebles on the LC firmly in its mouth. I usually zone everything out while I’m on a quality fish but I can faintly hear Mike’s voice saying, “Take it easy… nice and slow… you got it buddy…” A minute later, the beast was on the beach. My PB White Sea Bass.

During the entire battle, there was thunder rumbling and lightning crashing in the distance... so very cool.

Mike hooked up to another big fish afterwards, what we thought was another WSB. Taking crazy drag... he fought it for a couple of minutes and it snapped off and took his brand new LC.
    What a bummer! You'll get another chance soon Mike.

Solid and fat! 35” WSB
    I had it on my Boga Grip model 315 that max out at 15 lbs and it pegged bottom. So I’ll just say that it was around 15 lbs.

The release…

Resuscitation successful, send Poseidon my regards.

Custom “Death Dealer”

Paying homage to Poseidon.

New species! Snagged & released. The LC catches everything!
    I’m pretty sure I might have the first legal Bug of the season.

A Croaker of the “Wrong” kind… Sorry Mike, couldn’t resist!

Bonus reconnaissance photos.

Swells were manageable for most for most of the morning…

Got considerably larger later…

Dead Thornback ray.

Surfer colony.

We ran into our new friend Mike “Midgettosser” on our hike out. Nice to see you again buddy, hope you did well out there today.

Notice “Rock on head…” Rockhead!

Heading back over the hill on Kanan. Just love those curves!

Parting shot.
    Go Redskins!
    Last edited by Wingnut; 10-03-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

You DA MAN BROTHA !!!

I figure that I started a feeding frenzy with my huge calico and then the big girl moved in to see what's up!
    Seriously coundn't believe that big girl was so shallow bro!
    I hooked up with a drag burner a few minutes later that came back at me so fast that it was suddenly behind me in the surfline and then made a quick run back out and my line snapped....Goodbye LC. My heart just sank........I thought I was going to have a little of your MOJO rub off on me but it was your day to shine dude!
    You definately payed your dues last week and poseidon remembered to pay you back today!
    Alot of people would have farmed that fish with all of the crazy structure and swells that came crashing in at the wrong moment. Your experience in the surf definately showed up at the right time.
    I'm glad I was there to see another Commander Wingnut PB ........... You were soooooo pumped up....You deserve it!
    I also liked the great breakfast afterwards.......The eye candy was pleasing as well !
    Back home by 12:30 ....... Had a great BBQ at 3 and now heading back out for some sushi with the girls! If I don't get too Saki Bombed.....I might grab a greylight bite for two hours.
    We shall see!
    Last edited by bones; 10-02-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Great report and big congrats on the WSB!!! I'd love to add that species to my list very soon.

brian

I was so stoked when I got your text earlier. I couldnt believe the size of that when you sent the pic. Way to go!! You rock!!!

Very cool fish out of the white water Arthur! Would have liked to be there with my iron today......... I'm sure there were more lurking nearby. So what was the fish count today?

Wow is all I could say. Nicely done Commander WN & Lt. Bones.
    I don't think anyone could have done it better. Great job landing it bro.
    That "15" pounder sure was the most humongous I've ever seen lolz. I get stoked just reading your report. You surely lived up to your name Commander.
    I had a chance to hit the surf today but twisted my wrist :(

Team "Wings & Bones" have been on a tremendous roll the past few weeks!

Very nice new PB Croaker there Commander! Great work keeping it away from all the deep enemy bunkers!

Another "Enemy Major" is captured, interrogated and released to tell the story to his troops to be wary of these SWAT Guys!

I just hope that when I get released from my "POW" status that there are still a few uninformed officer's left to capture!

Till we hit it up again!

Holy Smokes Batman!!!! Great job on the fruitful outting Mike and Arthur, congrats on the PB!!! Beautiful fish! youre gonna make me uneasy thinking about the fish that got away from me for a while Arthur....hahaha.

Congrats!!

Andrew

Wow, now that is just outright ridiculous Arthur, you seriously are the luckiest SOB I know. Congrats and much props on landing that beauty.
    New car?

Amazing! You guys always catch the biggest and best fishes from the surf!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast