Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Cass Lake, Northern Minnesota Sept. 2010 Greg’s first Pike!!! Part 1

Default Cass Lake, Northern Minnesota Sept. 2010 Greg’s first Pike!!! Part 1

This is the first installment of my trip-I will add follow-up reports later on this week.

I took a break from wooden landing net making at Sierra Nets so this week, I could join a buddy, Jeff, and his twin Bro, Jim, for a great week of musky, northern, walleye, and perch fishing up at Birch Villa Resort in North Central Minnesota. Cass Lake is the 8th largest lake in a state with, literally, thousands of lakes. The gorgeous resort is right on the shore with a great sheltered marina with covered slips.

These guys grew up as dock boys working on their uncle’s summer resort for many years when growing up. They know this lake like the back of their hand and come back twice each year to put the hurt on the fish of Cass lake. Last fall, the bros netted a nice 42” musky right out front of the resort-CPR’d. They always manager to catch many fat DD pike each fall.

Jim and Jeff on Jeff’s sweet new Lowe 17’ aluminum boat with 115 Merc.

We started out the week on Sunday at 6am after arriving at Birch Villa, some 4 hours north of the Twin Cities, at 3am. Hardcore to say the least! The Eastern shore greeted us with this great view.

Layers is the name of the game up here.

After arriving minutes later, we fished their spot and Jim quickly landed a beautiful northern on a sucker minnow that ran 12-13 lbs. I am not sure where, or rather, who took photos, of that fish. The weather was nice (in the 60’s, ) but very windy all of Sunday and Monday.

I boated my very first small northern and have only this crappy pic to show for it.

We fished until after lunch, returning later that evening to throw large lures for muskies but to no avail. We did manage some nice perch though.

We CPR’d at least 4 northerns and missed many other hook sets. Pike like to hang onto their pray for minutes before swallowing. I managed to pull the fish right out of their mouths many times.

Eagles are almost always visible somewhere on the lake.

The fall colors are in full swing too.

Day 2, we did it all over again.

This time, we got into more northerns. They are fun, cuz you never know how big they will be. This palce has many double digit fish though they have been strangely elusive this week.

Me with my first northern of the day in the first moments of daylight.

Jeff with a nice 6lber

We also fished for and found some perch. My first ever yellow perch taken on a mud minnow-not big, but the first one nonetheless.

Day 2 clouds.

Day 3

Same old song and dance, but we couldn’t produce but about 5 pike for the day.
    I got a nice 5 lber

We caught around 12 fat perch while “soaking suckers.”

Again, eagles everywhere.

A beautiful stretch called Normandy Beach.

We plugged and trolled for several hours for muskies to no avail. Total time on the water 11 hours!

The “twins”

Jeff in his birth control glasses! LOL!

The Marina

Perch-O-licious!

We ended day 3 trolling muskies on u/w points wth no takers.

To be continued….

GM<<><

cool fishing trip Greg. Them Northern Pike are narley looking . Looking forward to your part of the report . Thanks for sharing

Great report,nice looking fish,
    did you catch any trout ????

Default Represent

Swweeeeet Angels cap dude!
    Nice fish and great place to fish. We used to go up there every year when I was a kid.

Brent

Wow.....Nice scenery. Nicer Fish.

Looks like some fun times. Did you guys try going deep for the pig Walleyes? Gotta love those jumbo perch, they're the tastiest thing going!

Greg....nice fish and great scenery. I would love to have a batch of those perch....don't have them up here and they are one of my favorites for eating.

Continued good luck,
    Brian

awesome trip greg! congrats on your first pike. hope to fish with you again this coming trout season.

see ya around

-Steve

Great trip thanks for sharing your report and photos.