Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June loop sept 17-23

Default June loop sept 17-23

Got to the loop around noon on Friday, unpacked and then headed down to Gull lake by the playground to soak some bait and relax after the long drive. We caught five and kept 3 in about 2 hours on salmon peach, chunky cheese and garlic PB.
    Saturday headed over to Silver lake fished along the shore before you get to the resort. The PB Queen caught 1 on chunky cheese and 1 on garlic, I caught 1 on an orange PW and 1 on a pink PW all released. The wind picked up in the early afternoon so we called it a day.
    Sunday was blown out so we hung out in Bishop and Mammoth.
    Monday went out on June lake in a pontoon boat. The PB Queen proceeded to kill them on garlic PB catching 7 releasing 2 and had her limit by 11 am. I caught 3 on chunky cheese PB, 2 on a gold Thomas buoyant released 1 and 2 on an orange PW released 1. Also lost 2 fished, both of them jumping out of the water and spiting out my bait, Good times!
    Tuesday went to Saddlebag lake and took the water taxi across to the 20 lakes basin, the wife is not into hiking but I was able to at least make it too Steelhead lake. We stopped at Wasco lake on the way back and fished for about an hour with pink and green PW but had no luck. Made one cast at Greenstone lake while we waited for the taxi and caught a 5” brookie on the green PW. This is definitely an area I want to come back to and explore.
    When we got back to the loop we headed down to Gull again and relaxed with a couple of cold ones while soaking some garlic PB. The Queen caught 1 and I released 1, lost 1 and kept 1.
    Wednesday we went to Big Virginia lake, the queen caught 6 all on garlic PB her new favorite flavor, she released 3, 1 was a brookie. I caught 5 on inflated NC, kept 3, released 2 and also lost 1, also caught 2 on an orange PW, kept 1, released 1 and lost another. Had 2 good hits on a rainbow Thomas buoyant and thought I was going to land my best fish of the trip only to lose it about 15’ from shore, ouch! We left around 1 pm as it started to sprinkle and then we had snow flurries for like 30 seconds.
    When we got back to June we walked down past the marina and fished along the shoreline below Boulder lodge for about an hour. No luck for the Queen but I managed to get 1 on garlic PB and complete my limit.

Had a great time can`t wait to go back!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 004.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	25633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 013.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	25632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 042.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	25631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 069.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	25630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 031.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	25629  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 017.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	25628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 007.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	25627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 005.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	25626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 073.jpg 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	25625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 035.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	25634  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 075.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	25635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 002.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	25636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 010.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	25637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sierras 9 2010 020.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	25638  

Very nice report, My wife and I were up there around the same dates and we had very similar results at Saddlebag, I'm looking forward to go back and put some more time into the Twenty Lake Basin, (din't really get to do that)
    SO MANY PLACES TO FISH AND SO LITTLE TIME...
    MB.

very nice report and nice pic's
    i love fishing the loop,special the rush creek
    gods country,too bad we all have to come back to this rat race.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

I have one concern. You use powerbait for the most part and you say that you are releasing fish, are you using treble hooks and releasing them? Most of the time when you're using powerbait most people use treble hooks and 99% of the time when you hook a trout on powerbait they swallow it and you are removing the hook from their gut or the back of their throat. The fish may swim away fine and look like everything is ok but it will die in a day or two if not sooner. Trebles and releasing is not a good combination, it would be better if you kept the fish unless it's lip hooked. I'm not trying to be a jerk but explain what happens in most cases with powerbait and treble hooks so I hope you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAgent View Post
    Sounds like you had a great trip.

I have one concern. You use powerbait for the most part and you say that you are releasing fish, are you using treble hooks and releasing them? Most of the time when you're using powerbait most people use treble hooks and 99% of the time when you hook a trout on powerbait they swallow it and you are removing the hook from their gut or the back of their throat. The fish may swim away fine and look like everything is ok but it will die in a day or two if not sooner. Trebles and releasing is not a good combination, it would be better if you kept the fish unless it's lip hooked. I'm not trying to be a jerk but explain what happens in most cases with powerbait and treble hooks so I hope you understand.
    If you cut the line and leave the treble hook in his throat...it dissolves in a few days and the fish is none the worse for wear.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraPeaks View Post
    If you cut the line and leave the treble hook in his throat...it dissolves in a few days and the fish is none the worse for wear.

That is not true either and more of a myth. There have actually been studies done with the water taken from Sierra rivers and lakes where hooks have been submerged in the water for weeks and not "dissolved". Take some tap water from home and put it into a cup, submerge a treble hook into the water and see if it dissolves in a couple of days. I've done it myself and it doesn't even begin to rust after 2 weeks with an Owner Mosquito hook much less a thicker treble hook. I have heard people say that for years but its simply not true.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAgent View Post
    That is not true either and more of a myth. There have actually been studies done with the water taken from Sierra rivers and lakes where hooks have been submerged in the water for weeks and not "dissolved". Take some tap water from home and put it into a cup, submerge a treble hook into the water and see if it dissolves in a couple of days. I've done it myself and it doesn't even begin to rust after 2 weeks with an Owner Mosquito hook much less a thicker treble hook. I have heard people say that for years but its simply not true.
    This is a fricken fishing site not a science class... The hook will dissolve in the fishes mouth, not just water...
    MB

I DIDN'T KNOW,THERE ARE MORE TREE HUGGERS IN THIS SITE THAN
    IN SACRAMENTO,,,
    YOU TELL THEM BROTHERMAN

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBASS MB View Post
    This is a fricken fishing site not a science class... The hook will dissolve in the fishes mouth, not just water...
    MB
    You know that to be fact? Really. Yeah this is a fishing site, so the info I was trying to relay was related to fishing and the conservation of fish Get a clue. I'm not tree huggin but trout aren't the most hardy fish either like bass and die rather easily. Bottom line is a gut hooked fish is a gut hooked fish period, better to keep it.

Sorry to take away from your thread BStolton, like I said just trying to spread a little info not incite a riot.

are you sure that wasn't water from the rockies hahaha i dont think anyone would waste there time studying that thus making your story a myth my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast