Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Your favorite Rod/Reel combo for big swim baits and top water lures

Default Your favorite Rod/Reel combo for big swim baits and top water lures

What rod (action and length) and reel would you guys recommend for throwing top water lures, and big swim baits for stripers.
    Baitcaster or spinning reel?

Any recommendation or input would be great!

For the price you cannot beat an okuma swimbait rod XH or H for some of the smaller ones. As for reels my favorite is a calcutta 400B

Lately I've been very happy with my Berkley MH 7'6" rod and Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5600 reel loaded with braid. Nothing is gonna break off on that line and the reel is basic enough that it will horse in any fighting striper. Casts a Zara Spook a loooong way and at $100 the reel is a good value.

I personally use an Okuma Guide Select Swimbait Rod in XH and use an Abu Garcia Record on it. I am able to throw the heaviest of swimbaits on it. I am looking to pick up a Curado 300 for a lighter set up. As it is, it is a great combination. Powerful and yet will be able to cast the heavy baits at great distances.

Really depends on your definition of big and how long the person has been swimbaiting. When you start out, and 7in Triple Trout or Baby Wake looks big. Then you think Hudds and 9in Lunker Punkers are big, but they really aren't. Most dudes don't get past thinking they are big though, and that's totally fine as many of them stick killer fish on those 8in baits.

Big for me though is when you hit 8oz and up. Some guys will say you have to hit 10oz, others will say more. For baits like that, you are really going to have to go custom to get the best performance. For anything under that 8oz for all day casting though, Phenix UMBX 711XH or a USB 800H will dominate it. Very solid rods.

BSP, have you had much success with those really big baits lately? It seems like many people are selling their swimbait rigs. For the weight of the baits you mentioned, I agree a custom rod is optimal. Out of curiosity which big baits do you throw? Thanks.

Raymond

I've tossed a 10in Rago tool that weighed out at 9oz. Really fun bait to toss that drew a ridiculous amount of fish up to check it out. That's the only one over 8oz I used to use regularly (sold it) as there aren't many baits out there in that size just for bass. They are starting to show up though.

I am really looking forward to seeing the newest BIG 3:16 baits. 10in Freestyle trout and 12in BAA. Cannot wait for those to come out since, assuming I am lucky enough to get one, I will be tossing them exclusively looking for one big bite. I've noticed with my 10in Born Again Armageddon, 9in Cl8 Bait, and 10in Triple Trout that I got way more follows. I've stuck more fish on the 8in baits, but seen a lot more quality follow the larger baits in. They really draw in fish and call them out, I just need to figure out how to get them to commit.

Don't really swimbait until winter (I know night time swimbaiting in the summer owns), but last year was when I noticed what I described above. Just a disclaimer though, I am not a good swimbait fisherman by any means. I just have a few baits that I like to work with (BAA, 8in Trout Freestyle, Cl8 Bait), and notice which ones work better for me than others. The exact same baits I haven't done well with have caught plenty of large fish for other guys. It's a lot of personal preference and confidence.

I believe alot of people sell off their swimbait setups because most people will not dedicate a whole day's trip tossing out a swimbait to get maybe one bite. Yes, you can have phenomenon days with swimbaits but for example, if you were to toss a 6" and an 8" hudd all day, most of the time, you will get more bites on the 6". You can catch even more fish if tossing out drop shot roboworm. I'm just saying.

But I would go with Okuma Guide Select series swimbait rods. I have one and it's a great rod. For reels, you can't go wrong with any Shimano 300 (or 400) size reels and up from the Cardiff's and up.
    Last edited by ogrich31; 09-30-2010 at 01:19 AM.

Hello,I have to agree with the Okuma Guide select series,I have the heavy telescopic model and its a lot of fun to use.I was lucky enough to aquire a JDM Shimano Calcutta Conquest 400 to match it with,super nice setup!
    Havent caught anything with it yet though....
    I have only used/tried it a couple of times really just to get used to how it performs but I like the Okuma rod and will be be purchasing the other models in the sereies as well as I learn the swimbaiting world,it really works you out but I love the challenge!
    Hope this helps!!

PS.Basspro sells the Okuma GS Swimbait rods for a great price,maybe worth a look for you..

Thanks for all the input guys....definitely gonna check out the okuma rods.