Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: For the bubble throwing bonito chasers

Default For the bubble throwing bonito chasers

since I have seen a few posts relating to fly and bubble tossing.. here is our twist on an old classic.. Go to an arts and craft store "Michaels" and look around the wood section.. and you will find ( if there not sold out from the bony chasers already) you will find wooden eggs yes eggs.. in various sizes sm m lg and that egg I tell ya makes for a hot bony setup... drill a hole through the center of egg from top to bottom, deburr the hole. run your main line through the egg thread a prism glass bead on both ends of egg.. attach a quality swivel and attach a 4' to 6' flouro leader and place your fav fly at the end... or multiple flies.. my best bony fly was a simple chrome headed blue crappie feather jig. have fun and wait till you see how far it casts.. the egg allows you to splash at high retrieve with a sweeping motion.. or run a trail of smoke behind the egg when working deeper..

Cool. Seems bubble splashing is a thing of the past. How long of leader do you run ?

Back in the day they would use a 4" piece of broomstick painted red and white also.

I like the wood egg idea. Must get heavy when wet ? Super long casts but it seems like the Bonito I've landed have all been 50' off the rocks.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by bayfishingjunkie View Post
    wooden eggs
    Do these wooden eggs float? How about after they dry after fishing, does the wood warp or split?

the eggs do not float but do have some bouyency and the water does not affect them at all.. my dad still has the same eggs he bought years ago

Sounds interesting. You might consider sealing them with some epoxy so they don't become water logged.