Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knot Tip of your lifetime!

Default Knot Tip of your lifetime!

So , have you ever had a pair of fishing boots or shoes, or ANY pair of shoes that simply will NOT STAY TIED throughout the day? Don't throw them away, and don't buy new laces. It's not the shoes....It's your knot!

You know the knot you learned when you were 5? Well with one simple lil change, you will not have this problem any more. If you tie the overhand one way, and then the bow the same way, you have made a slip-prone granny knot. Reverse one or the other and your knot will stay secure all day!

Easiest way to tell if u r doing it right or wrong is to look at the bow. If the two bows are in line (more or less) with your leg and foot, u have a Granny knot. If they stick out to the sides, problem solved. Good luck, it takes some getting used to. After all, you've been doing it the same way since you were 5!

GM<><

That's madness!!!!

Change the way I've been tying my shoe since I was 5? Now?

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

I'm not good with following verbal descriptions a video demonstration would be nice. Thanks.

The knots on my deckboots stay fine! haha

I'm learning how to tie my shoes on a fishing website!!!!

i have velcro shoes.. solves my issues. haha. jk.. i'll give it a shot.

I gave it a day in court and....

Works like a charm, plus I'm wearing the kind of boots with "hooks" for the top holes and these always untie but not today!

My advice - Do the 1st knot backwards than you normally would.

El chido is right. Change the direction of the first overhnd knot, then do the bow as normal. Glad someone could use it! This was revolutionary for me!

Greg, Thank you for sharing this!
    You're a genius!!!
    I have a pair of work boots that I have to "double tie" the laces so they won't come undone.
    I would have never thought that the way I've been tying for fortysomething years is not correct.
    I played around with with my lace knot and found that if done correctly, I won't have to double tie any more!

Here are some pics of the changes that I made to my shoelace knot:

This is my normal way to start the overhand knot

...and this is how the knot looks

Changed the direction of the overhand knot

...and this is what a correct shoelace knot should look like and it stays tied!
    Like GM said, it will lay square to your shoe and not at an angle

Now to break the habit
    Scott

How come we had to wait so long learn that simple thing ? We should have learned that in kindergarten, it would have saved a lot of skinned up knees and elbows.

I read this and was confused because I've never had an issue like this...so I grabbed the wife so we could try it...sure enough hers ran in line with her leg and foot and mine went across...so she starts giving me crap about how I've always tied a perfect knot in my laces...

then it hit me...

If everyone else has been doing the Granny knot since they were little, then I screwed it up when I was learning...luckily it was for my benefit...

Mom was right I am special...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast