Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phenix Iron Feather IF-682-2 and IF722-2

the rods are completely different, the tip is actually too soft for me. plus, its a 200 dollar difference! it better be! im just saying phenix makes quality stuff!

but 400$ is just to much for a trout rod.

i catch the same amount of fish with my amtech blank/mirage/and compre ;D all of those together is about the same as an iron feather

-andy

the killa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pie 13 View Post
    killa, what think about the iron feather?
    i have never had any problems with the proto type one that i had... i had been fishing that one for almost a year now. just currently returned tho.

I wuld talk to Jason over there and see what he will do for you. Dont talk to anyone else... Jason will take care of it....

so after all this debate, does anyone still want to buy a bad *** rod at a great price? hahaha

I own all three series of trout rods phenix makes. They are the only company that is able to come out with 3 different series of rods just for trout, and all three have completely different characteristics and personalities. Each one has their proper applications. I can see why the IF is so expensive. A set of Fuji Titanium SiC guides alone is more than a hundred bucks. I do not blame them for having a higher broken rod exchange price for this one specific rod. They would go broke if guys out there just decides to buy these rods, break them, and pop off the Ti guides and get it for 50 bucks.

You know, only in the United States is there such a thing as warranty for fishing rods. In Asia and Euro, you buy an expensive rod, you break it on the way out, tough luck. We've all been spoiled by loomis and shimano's rod replacement program.

Quote Originally Posted by formosa View Post
    i am very curious why and how you broke "2 iron feather" on fish . yes they are thin on the tip, but if you spent that much hard earn money for them, would you take very care of them, and if you broke one why you broke
    another one. and you RETURN FOR FULL REFUND? i do know Phenix has policy for broken rods. not like you said
    got FULL REFUND????????............. just my 2 cent.
    you tell me how i broke 2 rods? i was setting the hook on fish both times,maybe bad batch? what do u think? i"ll tell what im very dispointed with iron feather, really like the elixir series i have 5, great rod.

the killa Guest

you tell me how i broke 2 rods? i was setting the hook on fish both times,maybe bad batch? what do u think? i"ll tell what im very dispointed with iron feather, really like the elixir series i have 5, great rod.
    try some of the older style rods aswell... i have about 8 of those style....

Quote Originally Posted by the killa View Post
    try some of the older style rods aswell... i have about 8 of those style....
    killa, u have any 4 sale?

Sorry for jacking your sale thread. I hope you sell your rods regardless of what comments are made on this thread.

Let me start this out by saying I have NO involvement with the Phenix Rod company, what so ever. My statement that will following is based on being in the industry and seeing 1st hand the production, development and field testing of bait, reels, rods and tackle.

Majority (85%-90%) of rods that are return to manufacturers broken, are due to Angler error. Fishing rods are not meant to be fished at an angle of more than 90 degrees. No matter if the rod is made of graphite, carbon fiber or kevlar material. Something will eventually give at a certain point. Of course depending on the quality grade of the material, some will be more forgiving than others. We all as anglers have seen many situations where either “we” or others, fighting fish have put our gear in jeopardy. Good examples are the individuals high sticking, bouncing in fish, pulling a snag with the rod and believe it or not the angle you may set your hook on that one fish. All of this will snap rods no matter how much money you spent on them. No matter what company you buy your fishing gear from (Phenix, Calstar, Seeker, Gloomis, Shimano, Kissler, Dobyns, etc.), these manufacturers all put their products through strength test. During these strength test, the blank or finish rod is never positioned more than 90 degrees. Now of course these companies also test their products in situations where an angler will abuse their gear to see where their product will fail. What I guess I’m trying to say is if you’re breaking multiple rods, maybe you should take a look at your actions instead of the product. I have a two-car garage and 1 side is full of rod racks and rods I have accumulated over the years from different manufacturers. I can safely with confidence that I have only broken about 3-4 rods and I WILL ADMIT it was angler error.

you haven't heard the feather weak, their to thin on the tip,hey phenix is returning all the money back, I know this because I broke 2 rods on fish, return for full refund, im so piss off the iron feather is junk.
    You should consider yourself extremely lucky that a company will stand by their product like that and offer you a full refund. I wish others would do that cause I have some stuff I like to return to Shimano. LOL!!!

Consider their warranty program. It’s pretty good, compare to others that I have seen.

“Phenix Rods & Accessories, LLC (“Phenix Rods”) warrants that its fishing rods and blanks are free from defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner. Subject to the conditions and limitations set forth below, Phenix Rods will, at its option, either repair or replace any part of its products that prove defective by reason of improper workmanship or materials.”

They stand by their workmanship, if they’re willing to replace or repair it if it is their fault.

No-Hassle Rod Replacement Program
    Damages determined to be from accident, normal wear and tear, or neglect, Phenix Rod’s offers a no-hassle replacement policy. In the event a rod is broken, only the specific model of the broken rod can be replaced.

Rods
    · $50 plus shipping for all Ultra MBX, Ultra MBX Classic, Crankbait, Ultra MBX-S, Super Flipper, Crappie, PT, PTX, Elixir, Mirage, freshwater series rods
    · $60 plus shipping for all Ultra Swimbait rods
    · $75 plus shipping for all Classic Swimbait rods
    · $65 plus shipping for all Black Diamond series saltwater rods
    · $100 plus shipping for all Black Diamond Hybrid series saltwater rods
    · $120 plus shipping for Iron Feather Trout Rods
    Blanks
    · $25 plus shipping for all Ultra MBX, Crankbait, Ultra MBX-S, Crappie, PT, PTX, Elixir, Mirage freshwater series blanks
    · $40 plus shipping for all Super Flipper, Ultra Swimbait freshwater series blanks
    · $40 plus shipping for all Black Diamond series saltwater blanks
    · $50 plus shipping for all 8'6" and over Black Diamond series saltwater blanks
    · $60 plus shipping for all Black Diamond Hybrid series saltwater blanks
    · $60 plus shipping for all Swimbait Classic blanks

I know Gloomis warranty has gone up to $100 and right now Shimano has a $0 rod replacement fee. Rumor has it is that Shimano will have a fee starting January but once again that is only rumors.

Upgrade Program
    We value our loyal phenix rods owners. All rods manufactured by Phenix Rods prior to 2007 can be upgraded towards any new rod in our most current catalog. Rod owners with these rods can choose a rod within the series to the one that is being upgraded, and pay an upgrade fee of 50% off MSRP. All PT and PTX upgrades to the Elixir Series are subject to the upgrade fee. Rods to be traded in for upgrade must be in complete condition.
    All shipping costs will be at the responsibility of the rod owner.

That is really not unheard of in the industry. Many companies do that especially if the product has been discontinued or has gone through a cosmetic makeover. But you announce it on their website and honor products that were before from the previous Owner (I believe they brought the company in 2007 if I remember correctly) is pretty cool if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by yafool View Post
    You know, only in the United States is there such a thing as warranty for fishing rods. In Asia and Euro, you buy an expensive rod, you break it on the way out, tough luck. We've all been spoiled by loomis and shimano's rod replacement program.

You got that correct buddy. I have heard on numerous occasions where my friends or other anglers say “I don’t care its under warranty”

The high end jigging rod manufacturers in Japan offer NO Warranty on the rods.

I have a couple of Fisherman Spinoza Rods from Japan and let me tell you at $700 a rod. If you break them, than you better be ready to part ways with your $700. Black Hole jigging rods only offer a one year warranty on their rods and if you’re like me. I like to keep my rods longer than a year.
    Last edited by bassoff; 09-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.

the killa Guest

pm me your number. I'll take care of you....

I hope you sell these awesome rods!

I sold 4 of my GLoomis fly rods, that were custom wrapped for spinning. All I can say is, I love my Iron Feathers (IF792-2 and IF862-2)!!!

I have been a long time fan of Loomis rods when Gary Loomis was the owner of the company. When Shimano took over, their priority went from quality to quanity. Than to add more insult, they raised the price on their warranty if god forbids you break/damage a rod. I really wish Gary never went that route with that transaction. I hope that now he has started North Fork Composite, some quality rods will start popping up again. With that said, I have found Phenix's Iron Feather to be a well built rod and surpasses the GLoomis I use to have. I have not had any problems with the 2 that I currently own. The only complaint I have is, that I want them to build a 9' Iron Feather so I can replace my GLoomis F10812-4GLX

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast