Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: KH Bonito 'Full of Squid' ???

Default KH Bonito 'Full of Squid' ???

Went fishing for a 1 1/2 hours after work thursday in Redondo at JCS on the rocks for a skunk session.

Tried the bubble 1/2 full of water with a 8' leader, lime green 3" feather for several short bites and a few major boils behind the bubble. Tried 2 different Krocks for 30 min too.

Big 5 sell these Billy Bob ' Cast a country mile ' bubbles that work good. Been trying several different ones but many leak and have to be drained every few casts.

These guys next to me were tossing crank baits next and landed a couple macs, a smaller Bonito, and a 24" Barracuda (released). He got the Cuda on a 6" blue rattler type hardbait.

He gave me the Bonito and when filleting it it had a big hotdog size stomach full of
    4 Baby Squid about 3" - 4" and they were freshly eaten ?

The one last week I caught had 3 small squid in it's stomach too ?

WHERE ARE THESE BABY BONEHEADS CATCHING THESE SQUID ???

DR Theory

Redondo Canyon starts right off the beach and drop to over 700' deep right outside King Harbo*r. Diving at the edge is like looking down a cliff at the Grand Canyon.

Mini Sub Snooper reported seeing shrimp thick in the crevaces at 300' deep in Redondo, must be squid down there too ?

Any ideas where these Bonito are feeding on 3" squid ? DR

Redondo Squid.

Redondo Electric Torpedo Ray.

Last edited by DockRat; 09-17-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Wow squid? Those Bonita are way too spoiled. Hey DR leave the float and fly alone that old school fishing the fish have been educated. You need to use different lures.

I drove down to KH this afternoon. I parked in back of JCS and walked out to the rocks. I didn't see anybody fishing on the rocks, but there were two kayakers fishing in the harbor. I noticed the splash wall has a sign that states 'No Fishing'. Does that mean no fishing off the wall or no fishing off the rocks? I was going to cast a krocodile for a while, but since I didn't see anybody fishing off the rocks, I headed back down towards MB Pier and tried surf fishing, but the waves and current were too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_fish'r View Post
    I noticed the splash wall has a sign that states 'No Fishing'. Does that mean no fishing off the wall or no fishing off the rocks?
    Enter Here at the ' Enter At Your Own Risk ' sign behind her rear end.

You can fish from the short pier / hand launch all the way out to the point next to the banquet room next to JCS where the sign on a steel post says 'no fishing'.

They have openings in the splashwall by JCS. The sign 'No Fishing' is to keep people off the wall. Enter the last splashwall opening at the banquet room, turn right, and fish from there towards the bait barge direction. You can only go 100' from the last opening/access till you hit the metal 'No Fishing' sign on the steel post.

Where the splashwall turns towards the Baleen/Potofino at the metal no fishing sign
    that area is off limits.

Hey DR leave the float and fly alone that old school fishing the fish have been educated. You need to use different lures.

Dude, I got 4 different Krocs, Kastmasters ans a couple Megabait type lures.
    The only thing I havn't tried is hardbaits. Caught 1 Bonito on a small 1" blue/white Kastmaster.

Need some of you LC halibut guys to come down with your Lucky Crafts or Rapalas and get into this 'Tuna off the rocks' action.

Weekends kinda suck. Too much traffic, pedal boats, kayaks ect, and the free paking goes away too. $3 at JCS when the free lots are closed.

Leave your waders at home! Stay dry.

Redondo Tails on the Chew Too, Don't Catch Crabs..

JCS

DR you definitely want to give the hardbaits a shot.

We used to use the broken-back, blue mackerel color, Rapalas in the KH marina back in the day and used to nail the bonitos until we got kicked out by harbor patrol. The blue mackerel color Krocodiles worked really well also.

Where are the FNNers ? Team 57 hat on and still waiting for the day when someone comments on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    DR you definitely want to give the hardbaits a shot.
    That is what 75% of the guys there are tossing with limited success.
    Fishing the early evening in the wind makes casting tough.

Them hard baits are too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_fish'r View Post
    We used to use the broken-back, blue mackerel color, Rapalas in the KH marina back in the day and used to nail the bonitos until we got kicked out by harbor patrol. The blue mackerel color Krocodiles worked really well also.
    Hard casting those light rapalas with a side wind.

I have one of those broke-back blue on the boat.
    That is the number one producer in Pedro for barracuda off the docks.
    I would toss it out then reel fast to dive then very slow crank and the Cudas would go nuts and attack it. Usually 18" to 22" but I did get a 31" off the dock.
    Never caught a bonito on it just cudas and macs.
    DR