Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: No trespassing at the duct ??????

merkopac, some high 30's to low 40's. I quit and took a break from fishing for almost 5 years around then. I can tell you that there were lots of bulldozer scoops full of dead stripers being taken out. I think what saved it was that the far west side was not part of the blue stoning and those fish survived that hung out up flow from Munz. The medium sized seemed to be able to handle it for some reason. They obviously kept the fishery alive but on the edge. Getting back into fishing the past five years I can tell you it's nothing like it used to be at the duct. Last fall through this spring was pretty darn good though so maybe things are turning? I caught a lot of fish in that time. The most since I have returned to fishing seriously.

Forgot to add that it is not necessarily the copper sulfate that is bad because they have done it probably 15 times since the 90's and all was fine but the one time they did it, someone screwed up and killed a bunch of fish.

Did you ever meet the old man who used to ride his three wheel bike with rods straight up in rod holders along the duct drifting flylined chiken liver?He used to fish from past the castle above munz to 60th w.That guy was the King of the Duct.He would catch more big catfish than anybody I ever heard of.One time that guy told my buddy about hundreds and hundreds of boiling catfish at the duct.My buddy told the guy they were probably stripers.The old guy met my buddy there the next day and took him to the spot.My buddy told me he couldnt believe it,hundreds of boiling catfish up to big ones.My buddy caught a couple 8 pounders on topwater.He said the old guy caught 10 in a half an hour.I went the next day and nothing.The old guy said it lasted a few days.

Yes I know the "old man". He's a friend of mine. We fish together often at times. He's been fishing the duct since it had water put in it and the fish didn't even get a chance to make their way down to the AV yet, lol. He's got us all beat as far as duct fishing years.

Most people that fish the duct say there were stripers jumping all over but that is not the case. It's the catfish and the carp 99% of the time. I would have loved to see that frantic catfish boil. He did tell me about it too. I bet it is not a common sight.

Also, One day earlier this summer, I was getting bit by catfish only, all on lures. I caught a few. Oddly that same day a buddy was getting them on a LC pointer at a different spot. Must have been something in the air or water that day that got them so aggressive on the lures?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345