Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather During October In The Sierras?

Hey Fool, are those shing Lice?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky70 View Post
    Hey Fool, are those shing Lice?
    No, Mostly raider fan leaves all there empty beer cans and other trash.....

9 times out of 10 its great weather..Its that one time that gets ya. My Son and I will be up camping around the Crowley area late Sept and early Oct. I'm looking forward to a great time.

Got to love Motel 6 :)

Thanks guys!

I'm heading up for 3-5 days on Monday morning, and another trip in late September/early October AT MINIMUM this year. One thing I've noted in previous years--as the season gets "later", the services for fishing and tourism kind of recede a bit, and that process accellerates after mid-October. I don't think many of the vendors are tuned in to the 11/15 closing date of the season. Of course, it may not be profitable to stay open for that "bitter end" of trout season--and it has only been the past few years that trout season has extended beyond late October.

That anecdote above concerning Silver Lake in October reminded me of mid-October 2008 and a boat launch I did there on a crisp morning. Temp was 15*, and there were a couple carloads of photographers huddled up taking in the interior heat from their Subarus after pre-setting their camera gear for sunrise shots over Carson Peak and the Fall colors. A couple of these folks got out of the cars and snapped stills of me launching the boat and wading around in the cold. It didn't seem out of the ordinary to ME, at least. I did troll up some trout that morning, and got applause from the shutterbugs every time I brought one in.

That went on for about 3 hours, then clouds poured over the Peak and THE SNOW TOOK PLACE. The fishing shut down too, so I re-trailered the boat--which REALLY got the camera folks snapping--and 4-wheeled it out to U.S. 395 in a fair-to-middling snowstorm. Again.

If I don't get snowed on at least once a year while fishing the Eastern Sierras, it isn't a complete year. So, I'm DUE. :-)

Well I am hoping for cool temps. and no snow. Don't get there often enough so I really want to enjoy the time. Rolling out Wed the 15 of Sept. for 5 days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12