Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: help on modifying fish cat 4

Default help on modifying fish cat 4

hey guys, last year I purchased a fish cat 4 but never used it. I tried to make my own rod holders etc... out of pvc pipe. I couldn't figure out the right dimensions or even how to strap in on the float tube the right way to be secure.

This year I am determined to go float tubing as often as possible, but I want to be able to have multiple rod holders, net holder etc... and eventually a fish finder.

Any help or links to websites etc... would be appreciated.

thanks

P.S. I went through all the pics of peoples float tubes on this site and tried to copy what I saw with no real success.

Hey FS a bit of advice for you, I know there are going to be some on here that will not agree with me but here it is, fish with one rod!

I use to take 3 or 4 different rods out with me on my tube and found that they tend to get in the way more than you would think. Fishing from a tube is nothing like fishing from a boat! You have very limited space and trying to cast or fight a fish with all the extra rods in the way is a big hassle not to mention you run the chance of losing a setup! It has happened to me once.

If you really want to take an extra setup out with you then buy the rod holder made for float tubes....BPS sells a nice one for about $20.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_175-5-0

Decide on what fish finder you want to use and I will help you come up with a way to rig and mount it.

sonarbp

Hey sonar,
    Thanks for the advice, I was actually thinking of going that route after I messed up my first attempt at modifying my tube. How are those rod holders from BSP? I was looking at them the other day and debating on whether or not to purhcase one.
    As for fishfinders, what are some recomendations? It would be great if it is visible at night as well.
    Thanks again for the reply

Stringer

I got 2 of the BPS rod holders and they work great! The only time I really use them is when I fish tube tournements. They are easy to install and are adjustable.

As for the fish finder check your local sports authority....The one by me had a few fish finders for under $50. It all depends on what features you want in a fish finder. I would not spend a ton of money on your first one just incase it falls in the drink! Look at the Eagle cuda 242 or 300. Nice little units that don't cost a ton around $70 and have plenty of features.

Hello,

I don't post on this board very often, but I agree with sonarbp, any more than two poles is very cumbersome. If you fish in places that require you to carry your tube to the location, you may want to consider purchasing some backstraps. There are four D rings on the bottom of the Outcast float tubes that will allow you to attach these straps. There is also a chest strap that will allow you to securely attach the tube to your back.

Also on a final note, if you ever encounter issues with your bladders, I have nothing except outstanding accolades for the Outcast Boat Company. They stand behind their products and ship stuff out expeditiously. I had a seat bladder go bad on me in July 2010, while up at Sabrina Lake. As soon as I got home, I called them and they replaced the bladder for free and shipped it w/o charge. They are an outstanding company with great customer service.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/...?cat=14&id=310

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by sonarbp View Post
    Hey FS a bit of advice for you, I know there are going to be some on here that will not agree with me but here it is, fish with one rod!

I use to take 3 or 4 different rods out with me on my tube and found that they tend to get in the way more than you would think. Fishing from a tube is nothing like fishing from a boat! You have very limited space and trying to cast or fight a fish with all the extra rods in the way is a big hassle not to mention you run the chance of losing a setup! It has happened to me once.

If you really want to take an extra setup out with you then buy the rod holder made for float tubes....BPS sells a nice one for about $20.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_175-5-0

Decide on what fish finder you want to use and I will help you come up with a way to rig and mount it.

sonarbp

I really like the BPS rod holders. I have two of them along with my a PVC rod holder. I use the BPS holders to fish live bait in the harbor, and they work well for trout fishing with powerbait. I find it nice to be able to have two rods out, and still have both hands free for drinking and smoking...

I don't have any current pics of my set up, but will try to get some in the next few days. My PVC set up is super simple, has room for 3 rods. I even have a little Humminbird FF attached to mine. I use the D rings on the left side of the tube to attach the PVC holder assembly.

I personally like having three set ups with me. When trout fishing, it makes it easy to try different set ups without having to tie up every time you want to try a different method. I usually have one set up for powerbait, one set up for dropshot, and one set up for splitshot.

When it all comes down to it, setting up your tube to your taste is half the fun of owning one. Good Luck!

I agree with Poxy... I usually carry 2 rods w/ me and I don't have any issues unless I am going under a dock or something... I like to have 2 poles for not only 2 setups but I typically backlash my caster so bad I cant fish w/ it anymore and I don't want that to end my day....

I also have a fishfinder on my tube... so far i think it was a waist of money... but I have only used it once since purchasing....

Have fun workin on your tube...

Draw yourself a diagram of what you'd like your tube to hold. I did a dry fit of my PVC to get the right dimensions. I used 1 1/4" PVC "+" couplers for my rod holders (although I have also tried the "T" coupler configuration, but it adds a little too much weight to the set-up). The 1 1/4" size is available at Lowes (the Home Depot where I live doesn't carry the 1 1/4") and the inside diameter of the 1 1/4" is just the right size for most rod handles. Just remember, just like any other construction..."measure twice, and cut once". It may take a couple of different configurations 'til you find the one that works for you.
    LW.

Here is my set up. Part of the PVC holder came with the tube. I added the down pole and T fittings to the front to accomodate the fish finder. I transport my tube in my car, so there is no option of leaving it fully rigged. I used to attach the PVC holder with zip ties, but that is dangerous when you bringing sharp blades close to your inflatable. So I switched it up to thin nylon loops tied onto the D Rings on the left side of my tube. I tied them just large enough to be able to get the rod holder through the loops. I then attach a 24" bungee on the bottom of the middle tube of the holder and wrap it around under the same side the tube is attached to and clip it onto a D ring on the side of the tube. Keeps the rod holder and transducer in the correct position. I find my fish finder very helpful for mapping bottom contour, seeing structure and I think it's pretty accurate on fish detection. I got my FF free in the clasifieds section - Thanks again Bulldogboogers!! Hope this helps: