Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Did you eat the heart?

Default Did you eat the heart?

So that tradition of eating the heart of your first tuna, anyone know where it came from?

From past heart eaters, any insight what it tastes like? I watched a buddy recently almost puke from the taste, and this guy is pretty tough!

I did not eat the heart of my first yellowtail & tuna. I did take the first tuna and had it cut up sushi style and shared with everyone on the boat that wanted some.

I ate the heart. It was an albacore of course. The taste well I'm not really sure what to tell you, but I can approximate it to a slimy, warm, iron tasting hunk of crap. For some reason though my tuna's heart was rather large, bigger than a golf ball. Just eat the thing with some soda or beer a whala!

I ate the heart of my first tuna. It was the first of many yellowfin tuna I caught. The captain said it was tradition and not to break with tradition, I ate the heart. What the hell? I eat sushi already. Also, he said if I eat the heart, I will be more successful in catching tuna in the future. Whether that is true or not, I can't really say because I have been successful at all the tuna trips I have gone to.

As far as the taste, it was salty. I took a big bite while it was still beating. The captain who grabbed it out of the fish seemed very knowledgeable. He was catching 30-40 lb yellowfin on a 15lb. bass setup.

Quote Originally Posted by radray View Post
    I ate the heart of my first tuna. It was the first of many yellowfin tuna I caught. The captain said it was tradition and not to break with tradition, I ate the heart. What the hell? I eat sushi already. Also, he said if I eat the heart, I will be more successful in catching tuna in the future. Whether that is true or not, I can't really say because I have been successful at all the tuna trips I have gone to.

As far as the taste, it was salty. I took a big bite while it was still beating. The captain who grabbed it out of the fish seemed very knowledgeable. He was catching 30-40 lb yellowfin on a 15lb. bass setup.
    15lb test, that's the only way to do it.

No, I didn't eat it, too busy fishing.
    DR

I ate the hearts from my first albacore, yellowfin, bluefin, and bigeye tunas........................ All I asked was, "WHERE'S THE HOT STEAMED RICE, SOY SAUCE, AND WASABI ? ? ? ! ! ! "
    That was back decades ago in my mid teen wild and crazy days. Everything was a rush and always tons of fish caught.
    TTFM

This chick below ate the heart of a 275 lb YFT on a 10 day.
    All the guys stood and watched in disbelief.

DR

I have an ex-wife like that.

I didn't but fooled a couple of newbies that they needed to in order to please the fish gods. Too funnny.