Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 2 person yak question

Default 2 person yak question

I want to get a 2 person kayak for the space and so my girl can come out with me once in a while. Question is a 2 person yak operable by one or is it too awkward?

Thanks

Not awkward at all. Even better if you carry alot of gear like hooping for bugs.

I/m in the same situation, that's why my Drifter is for sale. Look at the OK Malibu II. We have one and it easily converts to a one man by clipping in straps we got from Sport Chalet allowing one user to sit on the recessed area between seat wells.

Most sit-on-top tandem kayaks can convert to a single with just the switch of the seat. The Malibu Kayak Pro 2 Tandem can do this (I own this one). Some Hobie Tandems for example cannot do this. If you end up buying a tandem that cannot switch to a single the problem can be the bow lifting. You would have to add some gear to balance the kayak. Overall, tandems that are used as singles are typically wide and therefore slow.

http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_tandem.asp

Tandems are great as a fishing platform. It will paddle fine as long as you can reposition it to a single seated position. Plus once you get comfortable with it, the extra weight capacity comes in handy for when you start fishing for thresher shark. Or to haul your camping gear if you want to do a multi day trip. I used to fish from a tandem but sold it for a more agile single seater and I'm kicking myself to this day.

No issue with paddling solo, but be aware that most tandems, will not have mounts for your seat in the middle on your kayak. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I have done in a Malibu II in both FL and WI and it was great, super stable and I could haul plenty of stuff and still move around access it. I did have to rivet in eyes to mount a seat in the center but it was very simple.