Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20lb reel?

Default 20lb reel?

Hey everyone,

I have these cabelas gift cards that Im trying to sell off. But in the case that I cant, I'm going to use them for a 20lb reel from cabelas. I have $230 to spend (I will go up to $300).

I'm looking for something that I can fish up to 20lb on for an upcoming 2.5 day trip. Yet still be good for bass to YT at the local islands, since I dont do many trips over 1.5 days. Its most likely going on a G. Loomis Bucara 933c (12-20lb, 7'9") rod. I'm sure 15lb test will spend a lot of time on the reel once my trip is over.

From what Cabelas has to offer, the choice is between:

Daiwa Luna 300
    Shiman Calcutta 400b or BSV (non levelwind)
    Abu Revo Toro 50 or 60

I was hoping Cabelas would have the avet SX MC (want to get my gf into fishing more, and figured itd be a reel we both could use), or maybe a saltist 20. But they dont. Not sure how they'd balance on this rod anyways.

I already have a solid line up of rods and reels for the 2.5 day trip, so I was just looking for a decent smaller reel since I have money to waste, and cabelas doesnt have a lot of stuff I want in their saltwater catalog.

Let me know if any of you have had experience with these reels for anything up to school size albies.

THANKS!

i was looking for a similar multipurpose reel for myself, 15lbs or 20lbs or 65lbs powerpro for throwing freshwater swimbaits.

my choice? I'm on the hunt for a revo toro, it simply kicks the poop out of every other similar reel out there.

14/200 line cap, which comes out to 150-160 yards of 65lbs spectra, it has a levelwind which is i like(you may not), its low pro style which fits better in your hand, AND heres the kicker, 25lbs of drag power.

if it wasnt for you having a cabelas giftcard i'd show you where to get one cheap too.

This is what I would get, the oh so popular Curado 300E. That reel is so badass, I watched my uncle slay two 20lb sheephead and 5 other double digit goats on it on my last 2 dayer. Just put 65lb spectra on the reel and topshot 10yds of 20-30lb fluoro. Curados are truly powerful and reliable, even my 200D slayed a double digit goat and is still working perfectly.

i have a curado 200e7, the 300e cant hold up to the abu garcia toro, hell the drag power of the 300e is pretty laughable for a reel of its size.

Toro 50 5.4:1 10.3 6HPCR + 1CRRB 14/200 24lbs drag
    Toro 50 HS 6.4:1 10.3 6HPCR + 1CRRB 14/200 22lbs drag
    Curado 300e 6.2:1 10.5 5SS,1A-RB + 1A-RB 14/190, 20/120 $249.99 15lbs drag
    Last edited by xjdesertfox; 08-12-2010 at 02:40 PM.

I can't comment too much about the Toro, I haven't fished it. But 15lb of drag on the 300 is plenty. I'm not sure where you would need anymore than that. Considering he's primarily looking to fish 15-25 lbs, i'd say the 300E is the perfect fit. That being said, the handle is a bit small when you get over 25lbs. If you're fishing straight braid, you'll be dreaming for a power handle (due out in the fall, 300EJ).

I don't like the MCs. Casted it a few times at Fred Hall. I mean- it does make it 99.99999% birdsnest proof, but at the cost of distance. Then once you get used to it, you'll never be able to turn off the magnets completely.

Quote Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
    i have a curado 200e7, the 300e cant hold up to the abu garcia toro, hell the drag power of the 300e is pretty laughable for a reel of its size.

Toro 50 5.4:1 10.3 6HPCR + 1CRRB 14/200 24lbs drag
    Toro 50 HS 6.4:1 10.3 6HPCR + 1CRRB 14/200 22lbs drag
    Curado 300e 6.2:1 10.5 5SS,1A-RB + 1A-RB 14/190, 20/120 $249.99 15lbs drag
    If ur fishing 20#, and u normally set ur drag for a percentage of your line rating, why would u need 24 pounds of drag?

do you guys seriously take drag ratings as simply drag ratings?

if i have a reel that has 24lbs of drag power, assuming there is no weak point, that means that reel will be able to handle the stress of 24lbs of pressure on the gearset without failure if you buckled down the drag.

however, assuming you have a reel with 15lbs of drag power, your gearset is only built to handle 15lbs of pressure because above that pressure the drag SHOULD simply let line out.

however, what if your drag fails? what if it locks up because you got some sand/salt in it?

higher factory drag power, beefier gearset.

Quote Originally Posted by xjdesertfox View Post
    do you guys seriously take drag ratings as simply drag ratings?

if i have a reel that has 24lbs of drag power, assuming there is no weak point, that means that reel will be able to handle the stress of 24lbs of pressure on the gearset without failure if you buckled down the drag.

however, assuming you have a reel with 15lbs of drag power, your gearset is only built to handle 15lbs of pressure because above that pressure the drag SHOULD simply let line out.

however, what if your drag fails? what if it locks up because you got some sand/salt in it?

higher factory drag power, beefier gearset.
    Higher drag rating does not mean beeier gear set. Just because the drag washers put out 24lbs of drag does not mean that the gear set is made to fish 24lbs of drag. Any fish that makes long runs such as YT or Tuna will destroy your reel in no time if you fish anything above 14 or 15# of drag. Simply put, none of these low-pro reels are meant to be fished for long running fish on tight drags.

Another one caught up in the marketing. Hope the boys behind the 24# of drag are swimming in gold.

Curado with greased Carbontex drag washers will put out nearly 20lbs of drag pressure as well, though I would never fish one over 12#.

As for the original topic, I would recommend the Saltist 20. Havent fished the new BG's, but the old Saltists cast very well, smooth under load, and are very durable. No matter what though, I install greased Carbon Fiber drags on all my reels.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Higher drag rating does not mean beeier gear set. Just because the drag washers put out 24lbs of drag does not mean that the gear set is made to fish 24lbs of drag. Any fish that makes long runs such as YT or Tuna will destroy your reel in no time if you fish anything above 14 or 15# of drag. Simply put, none of these low-pro reels are meant to be fished for long running fish on tight drags.

Another one caught up in the marketing. Hope the boys behind the 24# of drag are swimming in gold.

Curado with greased Carbontex drag washers will put out nearly 20lbs of drag pressure as well, though I would never fish one over 12#.
    actually, if you read up some reviews on the toro like on tackletour, they state that the toro would have no problem taking on YT.

a curado with carbontex drag is just another example of a reel modified by the consumer for something its not manufactured to do. You seriously think some company is going to manufacture a reel with a warranty that they know will not work?

from a manufacturing standpoint you damn well better beef up that gearset if you dont want your tech department flooded with warranty claims taking up your time and money because people buckled down their drag while running spectra.

you must be one of the believers that thinks that just because something looks like your standard lowpro, that it is, a revo toro is NOT your plain old lowpro, this thing is beefier than all the shimano round baitcasters i've seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast