Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Hilton Waikoloa Hawaii

Default Hilton Waikoloa Hawaii

Fished off the lava rocks at the Hilton Waikoloa on Kona. Only got to fish one day but it was worth it. Used old squid bought at the Island Gourmet market. It was dried out and already cut into rings. Used a bobber to keep the bait from snagging on the rocks. In Hawaii no license is needed and you are allowed to fish almost anywhere. Had a few people give me strange looks since I'm the only one fishing. I did see a few spear fisherman and a lone local fishing off in the distance. I used a large hook so I wouldn't catch the pretty tropical reef fishes. All the fishes were released. You have to be careful if you plan on eating reef fishes because some are contaminated with ciguartera poison. Caught trigger fishes, a striped snapper, blue spotted grouper, and some type of rockfish. The grouper looks smaller in the picture because it is bent. The blue spotted grouper is really a trash fish in Hawaii and considered a pest. It was introduced to Hawaii in 1956, you can buy it in most tropical fish stores in LA. I later found out it is routinely killed by locals because it preys on native fish and is not edible (ciguartera poison). All pictures were taken from my Iphone so the quality is not that good. I lost some big fishes to the rocks... The wife and kids had a great time at the hotel and the staff left me alone while I was fishing. And most importantly non of the other guest gave me a lecture on the sins fishing or the environment, maybe it was because my dark tan made me look like a local. Next time I'm going to bring my heavier gear and throw out live bait and try to hook the Ulua swimming just a few feet away from me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0541.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	24976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	24970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	24973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	24977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	24968  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	24975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	24971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	24974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	24972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	24969  

Hey skin doc, gotta go with the Mark White Lures if you want the ulua or papio...haha. Looks like you did great though. Some ta'ape, roi, and a po'opa'a, with the hawaiian names lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGxSyIESo8

Cool fishes . Thannks for sharing.

that triggerfish is awesome.

that is awesome, good job on making due on what you were provided with ( dried squid, lots of rocks, big hook ) that is way cool. Those fish are so colorful, how long where you fishing for? I think that trash fish is bad arse. Thanks for sharing and glad you go some fishing time in.

Tight lines

KILLA

Hey cool deal man. I spent time w/a guide once on Maui trying 4 ulua but didn't have any takers.I took the liberty of looking up your fish in my Hawaii's Fishes guide.
    The trigger is a "Black Triggerfish". The snapper is called a "blue Stripe Snapper" which were also introduced to the islands from the Marquesas in 1958. The grouper was a "Peacock Grouper" or Roi in Hawaiian. The last fish is "Stocky Hawkfish" aka rockfish or po'o-pa'a. In old Hawaii, it is said that the man who fools around in shallow water takes home a po'o-pa'a.

Don't take this as a slam, but my book says that 3 of your four fish (not including the trigger) are considered a pest.

Thanks for teh report from the Islands.

GM<><

Ah that sucks that you can't eat the grouper. Those little guys should be very tasty. Very nice job on the fish considering Hawaii's ridiculous wind, rocky shoreline, and you limited fishing time.