Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First spinnerbait fish of the year, just under Nine Pounds, Meow

Default First spinnerbait fish of the year, just under Nine Pounds, Meow

Been thinking about all those weeds down at the Lagoon and thought that a buzzbait or spinnerbait could be the deal.
    So went Saturday evening for a little prefish, ended up fishing a jig for a couple bass, no toads, saw a guy I know, Craig, besides Butch, he owns the lagoon, well saw that he was tossing a blade so I tied on a cheap buzzbait thats been rusting away in the box, no blow ups, but figured some things out.
    Ran into Craig at the dock and he had a donkey in his livewell and didn't have a camera, so took a couple pics of his fish and talked to him about what he was doing.
    So with info in hand I went back tonite to close the lake, I messed with a buzzbait for a while then got out the spinnerbait and got to work, i was tossing it to the outside weed lines and slow rolling the bait and on the 3rd or 4th cast It got slammed, Yeah, heavy fish, glad i had put the net out on the deck before I started, word of advise for the lagoon, always have the net ready.
    Sure enough, the fish was pulling hard but felt werid, saw the fish at deep color and said wow it's big, but as it came up for the final time I was bummed , Catfish.... was toad of a differnt kind, stupid catfish eating a spinnerbait....
    Well while I had him in the net making a mess of my carpet on the deck, I got the camera out and scale, fish was just under 9 pounds, sorry but the picture I took had a big sun glare in it... I tried to release him but it just floundered on the weeds, so i put it in the livewell to recuperate, and tried to strighten out the bait but it was all busted up.
    So got a new one out rigged it and ended up getting a two pounder bass, took a pic and tossed him back, well the clock was ticking, I ended up missing two others, when I got back to the dock I thought about cutting the catfish up but ended up letting it go, catfish are tough critters so back he went.
    and I'll be back tomorrow either to the upper or back to the lagoon to fish the spinnerbait somemore...

luv ta see the "Donkey" that was in the livewell, how bout posting da pics ya took : )

Congrats on the pig kitty as well, woulda luved ta see pics as well...

Kitty's are not really all that common in the goon....sweet !
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 08-16-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Nicely done........wow cats slamming the blade....nice! get the pics up!

Well, I allways seem to find the cat fish when i'm bass fishing, I was bummed that it broke the spinnerbait, Butch gave me that bait, here's a pic of it cleaned it up the best I could.
    Here's some of the bass you can find down, better be armed with the big stuff, once they get down in those weeds the odds are slim...

I would have been really disappointed with that pig cat instead of a pig bass, haha. Still cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I would have been really disappointed with that pig cat instead of a pig bass, haha. Still cool though.
    With a box of corn meal and a deep fryer.....I WOULDN'T BE DISSAPOINTED !

I had that happen to me years ago at Silverwood. Was fishing a spinnerbait at sundown and got slammed by a nice cat. Thought for sure it was a huge bass at first.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkmaster View Post
    I had that happen to me years ago at Silverwood. Was fishing a spinnerbait at sundown and got slammed by a nice cat. Thought for sure it was a huge bass at first.
    Yeah I've had 'em slam twister tail grubs as well as rattletraps...

once in a while those suckas become very predatorial !

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    Yeah I've had 'em slam twister tail grubs as well as rattletraps...

once in a while those suckas become very predatorial !
    Yes, but that is not as bad as, while you fishing with 7" Senko, you got big carp !!!!

I caught a DD cat on a rattletrap one time....Damn near blew my mind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast