Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The perfect mini-jig rod

Default Speaking of a GLoom

I've been using an SR841-2 IMX ... with a Stella 1000 or Sustain 1000 ... with 2# fluoro ... and was told that it was a little bit too stiff to bounce the tip end of the rod ... and would be better if it was 7.5 - 8 feet.
    Last edited by billy b; 08-10-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Which Ci4 1000 size looks better to you? What do you think about the special line Ci4?

The Okuma aveon is very nice size 15 = 500 These started at 120 new.

They used to be on sale for 35$ but they are back up to 70-90 or so. They have 11 ball bearings and are very smooth.

The stradic 1000 is very sweet as well.

Here are a few links to check out this subject has been talked about quite a bit already.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...for-(Trout-rod)

and this link will provide you with more info then you can shake a stick at...

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...i-jigging-rods

I love this subject cuz I wrap these rods and have a passion for trout fishing.

the killa Guest

I have a couple Phenix rods for sale right now. Check the classified section...

I think if you want to spend a little less money, maybe check out a 3-4 weight fly blank, there are lots of good blanks for a nice price out there. Batson/Rainshadow (owned by Bill Batson), St. Croix, and Temple Fork Outfitters are but a few of the blanks available for wrapping one up. You want at least 7', preferably 7'6"-8' or longer. The old school Kencor rods can throw the jigs a mile, but they are heavier and slower than most graphite blends today. I personally don't see the point of buying a $400 rod to fish a mini-jig. I've caught plenty of fish on a 7' St. Croix UL, and many would consider the model I used much lower end on the quality scale than the Phenixs and G. Loomis series so popular here. Of course, I have no problem dumping a similar chunk of mula on a bass rod, but thats just my

Any 1000 sized reel is good. I love Daiwa spin reels, and their Excelers are some of my favorites for the money. Very smooth. But annoyingly, its hard to find a Daiwa in a size smaller than 1500, with the SS Tournament 700 series being the real exception (which are excellent reels, in a older school design. I have one 1300 SS that operates almost flawlessly after 10 years of constant use). I use a Shimano Saros 1000, very nice little reel for the price. The new Symetres are great little reels too. I still fish my Sienna 1000 and Sedona 500 that are close to 10 years old, and both operate solidly for such economical little reels. I also have a Sedona 750 I picked up a few years back. Its a nice 4lb reel. I've had issues with the bail spring, but Ive also caught a nice mess of fish on it too, so no complaints.

The " Cars " model from walmart is highly recommended it also comes with a bobber that looks like a tire... those trout will never know what hit them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12