Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe Boating

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman from long beach View Post
    i have a lil ?.the hand held vhf radios,are they any good,as far as i go out is the wall,because of the kinda boat that i have.but is it worth the money to get one?

A radio of any type is preferable to nothing, My handheld transmitts more than 8 miles, I can call for a radio check from Los Alamitos and get answered by boats leaving Newport harbor. The problem with hand helds are the transmission propagation is reduced considerably if you are actually in the water.

Are you working the inside or outside wall? The outside is much more dangerous than inside, I take it you're not fishing at night in the dark becuase thats a whole lot different the precuations of fishing daytime.

My best advise is to have a plan, What do I do if the boat get swamped by a large wave? What do you do if fishing line or a hoopnet rope gets wrapped in your prop and you are drifting into the wall? Or your motor won't start?

Ask yourself as many What if questions as you can think of, you need to know the answers or have a plan. The problem is its usually something you haven't thought of. Thats where experience and time on the water come in.

Lastly, anyone that has a boat that goes in the ocean should have vessel assist, its AAA on the water. If you get stuck and they come to help you, I believe its $180, maybe $200 hr from the time they leave the dock. It will be a min $400.00 bill if you are stuck at the breakwall. Vessel assist is $100.00 a year and thats good up to 25 miles offshore.

Be safe,

Tuna Out

hey hey old work mate iam at EAFB thanks for all the good tips! thinking of taking the boat out this weekend for some bugs maby i will see ya out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12