Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need tips on how to be a better fisherman

although this may seem way out there, To become a better fisherman you need passion.. after reading alot of the posts on this site I realized All the really good fisherman have passion for thier sport and thier target of interest.. I took every class of lure out there and devoted time to learning how it looks to the fish. if its crankbaits go to a nice clear empty swimming pool and see how it reacts to your retrieve.. and remember it so when you cast that bait you see a mental picture of what it doing. this is how you achive confidence which catches more fish.. I love to fish!!!

Well i have the passion thays for sure but ive just never fished with lures i love hooking up a fish nomatter what species it is. Especially when they give you a fight lol but i think with lures it is something else you know thats when you really feel like a good fisherman in my opinion

big hammers work for freshwater too.

Good tips: vary your retrieve. change colors often. Never stay in one spot for more than ten minutes unless you get strikes. Use colors that match the water color. --if water is muddy use browns, reds, oranges.

In clear water, things are different. this is when the mimics of prey like bluegills, baby bass, minnows, are useful. Also, in clear water, match your colors to the environment. Fish are like chameleons. they try to blend in with the bottom, the weeds, or rocks.

During overcast skies, the fish can see things on the surface much easier. Use darker colors.

Night is where topwaters are usually more useful. Use black at night.

And finally-- remain quiet. and walk carefully. freshwater fish tend to have great hearing.

During the morning and evening, purples and blues work well.

Thanks smokehound those are some good tips

cutbait Guest

Do yourself a favor and stick with the tried and true baits. Don't buy the "knock offs or cheap stuff", they can have their success, but you'll end up with a tackle box full of stuff you won't touch ever again.

Buy the Luckycrafts, buy the Robos, buy the Senko, buy the big hammer. You'll save yourself money in the long run

i stared at smoking flies avatar for almost a minute trying to figure out what it was. I also second the big hammers, can't beat um. Throw them out slow or fast retrieve and bump it along the bottom also works for me at some spots.

for jetties try using some big hammers in the 3 3 1/2 to 4in.grab a couple of every color and some lead head and go to work.piers i dont do.sorry.but big hammers work on a variety of fish,from the bass to the barracuda.but the most important have patience.dont give up if you have a couple of skunky days.....good luck

Love nature.

Here is the best advice I have for you to become a better fisherman.

-Have fun. You have to enjoy yourself to really be successful and you have to be confident too.

-Read the reports and threads on these forums.

-Decide on what type of fish you want to target. Fishing for bass, catfish, carp, bluegills???

Buy either used or new rods and reels that are specifically made for your type of fishing. Spinning rods or casting rods...Dropshotting, crankbaits, jigs, etc. Personally, I think you can find some very nice slightly used items. Lots of experienced fisherman are always upgrading their equipment and take good care of their stuff. I've recently bought 2 really good bass rods that were basically new for less than $100 for the pair.

Most importantly........Go fishing, go fishing, go fishing, go fishing
    You can read and post questions all day long, but you need to get out there and practice with your presentations. The more often you go fishing, you'll meet the local fisherman and will start learning more and more of what works and what doesn't work.

Keep in mind that many things don't always work from lake to lake too. So you might fish a specific body of water until you get more experienced.

Good luck to ya!
    Brian

One clarification-- My tips were for freshwater.

One MAJOR part is paying close attention to your environment.. This is important especially for the surf, where the environment is ALWAYS changing 24/7. Where action was great one day, it will be a ghost town the next.

Go out during a good low.. Check for the tide forecast online-- during the low, scout the area out.

Look for depressions in the sand.. look for little potholes. troughs will look like miniature canyons, and ditches.

http://www.eefishent.com/tides_&_structure.htm --this will give you examples of troughs.

When a wave moves over a depression, it appears to weaken and disappear, while the rest of the wave that travels over level sand will remain strong.

^---That's a trough at low tide. Holes are virtually the same, but instead of a line like that, it will be.. well..
    .. a hole.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast