Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Not what I expected 08/01

Default Not what I expected 08/01

I got a call last Tuesday from my buddy Hanger ( Poach'n Basstards ) letting me know there's an open spot on his friends boat Sat. & Sun. I of course had to work Sat. So I took the spot that was open for Sun. With work being a little rough lately I was excited for the trip. I wake up at 0630 on Sunday morning locked and loaded I walk out of my room the hear Hanger say " my buddy just cancelled, the trip is off ". WOW !!! WTF !!!! So we sat in shock for a few minutes. There's a PLAN B, grabbed the rods and headed out for NPH. Got to the spot around 0800, realizing I forgot my live bait jigs at home, I had to make my own. Water level was real low with the drains exposed. We had some squid on the soak when another local fisherman showed up. Real nice guy, I've fished with him once before. Bait wa out for about a hr. when I got my 1st hit on a whole squid ( sandbass pecking at it ) but the fish couldn't fit my monster hook in it's mouth. We all kept getting some smaller bites here and there. Finally I had a nice Ray run but it made off with most of my squid. Another Angler showed up with his little ones ( watch the sailor talk ) they were using muscles straight down. The kids were having a blast catching 2 small thornbacks and a keeper Croaker. I got them to C & R it safely back into the water. The bite slowed down mid-afternoon, so Hanger and I decided to throw some plastics around the docks while working our way to grab a burger. Lost a good bite on a actoin worm, againg fished ripped my plastic in half. We headed back to our dock and our buddy is sitting in his chair with a Empty Sealine 50 that WAS spooled with 50 lb mono. " there was nothing I could do " he said. We decided to call it a day and head to the house for some cold ones.

NPH has some big ***** rays

Tight lines

KILLA

gotta love the freight train runs they can make when they get big!!!! That's why i like to fish areas where i can chase them down. I got spooled once before with 15# mono!! I will never get spooled again. When I know I have no chance (in areas where you can't run with them) I just palm the spool to slow it down and then hold tighter and tighter till it breaks the line! But i have been able to land 100 pound rays on 20# mono just takes forever hahahahaa

Sorry for your frustrating day in the harbor! Keep working it and it will produce! Trust me! I started off with some days like that!

thanks for the report, i almost got spooled on a 4/0 with 60lb braid.,.,.big mud marlins in NPH.

Game on getting spooled
    That is some fun action. Try a Seal sometime
    DR