Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Upper Pahranagat Lake, Nevada July 17

Default Upper Pahranagat Lake, Nevada July 17

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Nevada Wildlife Division had a Carp Rodeo on the 17th to try and reduce the number of carp in the lake. I went went out to Las Vegas to spend some time with my parents and we decided to hit up the Rodeo with them and my 6 year old niece. We got to the lake around 9am and registered. They were providing free rods, reels, tackle, and bait (corn) if you needed them. I grabbed 4 setups for all of us and we headed down the levee and set up. Unfortunately we didn't hook into any carp, but we managed to land a few small catfish. My mom hooked up first and when she got it in, I tried to get her to kiss the cat for luck but she refused and just about threw me in the lake. My niece hooked up next and wouldn't get near the fish. Dad never hooked up and my mom and niece decided to head back in and partake in some of the activities that were going on. I managed one cat and spent the next half hour helping a little boy that was fishing next to me. He was having trouble casting, so I showed him how to cast properly. By then I had another fish on my line and I handed my rod to the little boy and told him that it was all his. He reeled it in and caught his first fish. I showed him how to unhook it and properly hold, then release it. His grandmother told me I had just made his week. After that I went back in to get some free bbq and watch some of the seminars they had going on. All in all it was hot, but I had a great time with my family. Unfortunately I didn't take a camera with me. Next year maybe we'll get some carp. Here is the link to the event http://www.fws.gov/desertcomplex/pah...er_7-09-10.pdf

Thanks for reading,

Chris

Nice try. Fishing in Vegas ain't easy! Nice work showiung the boy how to fish. That's teh kind of thing that keeps our sport going. Thanks for the report.

GM<><