Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bear Lake 7-14 & 7-15

Default Big Bear Lake 7-14 & 7-15

Went to Big Bear with the family July 13-15th. Great weekend except for the heat during the day. Woke up a little late the morning of the 14th because we took my 2 year old nephew. I thought it would be fun taking him but he ended up being more of a distraction. I think 2 is a little young for fishing. We fished the north shore a little east of the dam. There's alot of construction going on at the dam so you can't really fish from it. No luck the first day, tried powerbait and NC no luck. I did manage to catch a baby catfish on a NC. The next morning woke up at 4 and got lines in water by 5, no nephew this time, just took my sister who's never been trout fishing. Within 15 minutes we had our first one. Steady bite all morning we landed 7 in 2 hours and farmed 3 or 4. All were pretty small, about a foot long and caught on garlic chartreuse PB. All fish were safely released after removing the hooks.

P.S. Bring mosquito repellent, got lit up by them in the early morning.

Last edited by 2jackedLUNGS; 07-16-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Cool pictures, thanks for the report!

congrats on the bear trout,sweet pics too, thanks for sharing.

awesome trout on the first pic.
    nice fins, looks possibly like a holdover?
    those little catfish are probably the bullheads. the lakes been FULL of them
    congrats!

Nice work. What's with the pink beads? Looks like a sliding sinker ... with swivel? ... but beads in between?

Great Pics very nice post

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Nice work. What's with the pink beads? Looks like a sliding sinker ... with swivel? ... but beads in between?
    i heard they help protect the knot by not having the lead hitting the knot at the swivel.
    and i heard they help attract fish over, they think its roe or something, then they eat your bait.
    who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by E.A.R.G. View Post
    i heard they help protect the knot by not having the lead hitting the knot at the swivel.
    and i heard they help attract fish over, they think its roe or something, then they eat your bait.
    who knows.
    exactly. the beads protect the knot at the swivel and keeps the sinker from rubbing on my guide during travel. i heard that they can attract fish as well, but i use them mostly for knot protection.

It amazes me how many superstitions fishermen have. It goes with the territory. I'm not saying necessarily that line does not become frayed but there are countless things that could cause that in the water itself. It's not like the sinker has a serated edge and is traveling back and forth at a high rate of speed resulting in friction. Why wouldn't tackle companies just cast the sinker in red? It would be a couple less items for the lne to get tangled in which in itself can cause line to get frayed.

i don't see how thats a superstition.
    doing a dance before casting is superstition...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast