Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 07-12-10 fishing the flats off the keilani

Default 07-12-10 fishing the flats off the keilani

Headed out on webmaster Jeff's boat to fish the flats for some local bites. we decided to fish a bit more south than the fleet to try and get a possible WSB. started a drift after we marked some fish, wasn't long before I got a lighter hit on my dropper loop 3oz with live squid
    set the hook and felt like I was stuck on bottom til the line started ripping off.
    I immediately thought bat ray because its always a freaking bat ray.
    this one stays low though, taking drag WITH headshakes. Webmaster is saying its the right kind, right kind! thats a wsb!

pulls drag til it gets all the mono and then the pole goes limp.

lesson learned: when buying a reel with line off of classified , check the topshot knot!

bummer. drifted for a bit more with a few short bites. we saw the cattle boats from the o.c side pass us going north. we figured we'd let them find the fish before we join them. sure glad we did because we saw them stop and go all over the place, dropping and pulling anchor before they eventually disappeared north.

after getting no real love, we decided to troll north looking for the fleet. didn't find them til we got way up where we launched out of. the fleet was a good few miles north of where they were on the weekend.

anyways, a good site to see the parking lot. anchored up next to a few moo moos and began the pick of steady sandies.

the wind started picking up though, and never really calmed down. we were one of over a dozen private boaters, but by the time we left, we were the only one left braving the winds. the wind got worse and worse as the day went on, but the bite got better and better so we stayed. with skipper Jeff on the wheel though, there was no fear at all.

we had the radio on to keep us entertained with people calling vessel assist and coast guard. some of these people should NOT be driving boats around lol

we were laughing at a conversation over radio with some boat that needed to get towed in, but they didnt have gps so vessel assist had to ask questions like "... well... do you see a lighthouse?"

anywhos, we had the live squid, which definitely gave us the upper hand. the bass were hitting more on the drop than anything.

we had a couple more bat ray scares. one was a 100 lber that kicked my butt. back aching-arm burning fight. Fun and exciting though.

we both caught about a dozen or so, none were short and a few were in the 3-4lb class. We kept 19 and headed in.

the mini parking lot

the fish finder

the candy bait

the results!

the skipper bringing us in after a snotty ride home

thanks to the skipper for putting up with this noobasaurous rex and always working hard to put people on fish, on and off the water

the southern cal vs a battleship. BRING IT ON! haha (obviously the battleship was a lot further back. but with this crappy camera phone you can't tell, and they look like they're going head on! that thing looked amazing though when it was closer)

sorry for the crappy sizing of this report.
    don't kick my butt Alex! I promise i'll learn lol

Quote Originally Posted by EyeAmRealGhetto View Post
    sorry for the crappy sizing of this report.
    don't kick my butt Alex! I promise i'll learn lol
    Hahahahaha, congrats on the bassin with webmaster, damn that dumb knot,
    I hope you guys get them next time...

Some nice sized bass there Eric and Webmaster! Sucks about the possible WSB, always next time though!

Too bad about the possible WSB Eric.
    At least Jeff got you on alot of other nice fish.
    Thanks for the report and pics,
    Robert

Hi Eric,

Congrats on the sand bass.

Any knot is fine until you get a big one. I'm manic about my knots. Mainly because I hate loosing the big ones. I'd check the knot at the spool too.

fishinone

bass slaya's !

congrats : )

Gary

Hi EARG,

Looks iike some good taco fixin's. Sorry to hear of the parting of the line !!

Good tip about checking the top shot to spectra connection. And I believe that is the native sun in the battleship picture.

Bummer on the knot.
    Good post anf FF pics,
    DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast