Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light line fishing

Default Light line fishing

Not too many people like to use light line. I just so happen to be a light line fanatic. I found out that circle hooks make a dramatic difference. Since all you have to do is reel in the line and the fish hooks him or herself. No swinging for the stars just set the hook. Then i broke down and got me a new reel with a smooth drag. A sensitive rod also helps fishing 2 lb line with a stiff rod will not work. This i caught bass to 6 lbs on the 2 lb gear. I remember only breaking off 1 fish. I was fishing with Oscar that day. Never horse the fish in. Play the fish enjoy the fight. Always follow your fish. Avoid tangles with other fisherman by following the fish. Most important hold your tongue right!

FISHINGBEE

Nice tip I like light line to for fishing city parks, but what is a circle hook ?

I like light line fishing also.

Main tools are a very smooth drag and a soft rod (no old guy jokes here!!)

The fight on lite line is exciting and fun....
    I use circle hooks for some large fish, but not very often...
    Have a good stock of them though... They work well...

They have circle hooks everywhere. I buy them at Walmart . They say circle hook on package. If you get some do not swing or you will miss the bite. It took me a few days to learn that.
    Last edited by FISHINGBEE; 06-28-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks for the info. guys. I'll be trying them out.

Fish is always hooked on corner side of the mouth. Easy to get the hook out. Less damage to the fish.

FISHINGBEE

Quote Originally Posted by FISHINGBEE View Post
    ... No swinging for the stars...

FISHINGBEE
    That's one of the best parts of fishing.

Make sure those fish know they're hooked and the fight is on.

I use a old Ugly Stick with 6 lb test in the ocean for shoreline or making bait.
    The problem is alot of lost gear, swimbaits ect. But you sure can cast a 1/2 oz leadhead far.

In the surf I go with 4 lb flourocarbon leader.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Nice tip I like light line to for fishing city parks, but what is a circle hook ?
    The idea is that the mouth corner is the last spot to hook as the hook comes out of the mouth, throat, or belly.

Longliners use the too in the ocean.

Last edited by DockRat; 06-30-2010 at 06:55 AM.

I actually took a light rod with 4lb line to Balboa pier last week for some bait and caught a short sculpin instead. It was a nice little fight. I was just a little worried pulling it up but it was fine. I'm pretty sure if I got something bigger I would have to throw the net out to get it up to the pier more securely.

ps. the short sculpin was released.

Is that why most bass anglers use heavy line? So they could swing for the stars.

FISHINGBEE
    Last edited by FISHINGBEE; 07-01-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast