Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: homemade sabiki rod lol

Default homemade sabiki rod lol

ok so after seeing someone who made one out of pvc, i decided to give it a try.....lol.....it worked out well. i could not see giving up 60$ for a on use rod. take a look, kinda cool. what do you think?

I like it. Made one two years ago out of 1/2" PVC.

Took a old bluegill rod with a pushbutton reel and sawed it off 2" above the handle. Then widdled down the handle some, heated the PVC, jammed it on.
    After it cooled, pulled it off then glued it back on. Drilled a hole like yours. Heated the tip end then flared it out like yours. I think a guy posted one on BD is where I saw it.

Smelt is a awesome bait. They can live for 6 hours no problem in a five gallon bucket with no bubbler if you change 1/2 of the water every hour.
    Much tougher bait than sardines, anchovy's or squid. Last alot longer on the hook too.

Don't try more than 6 - 8 baits in a 5 gal bucket if you want them to last. Bait the sabiki with 1/8" squid tenacle pieces.
    Baited sabikis seem to work better for smelt by not bouncing the rod for smelt unlike catching macs.

Work great till one day I layed it in the boat baited (at the dock) was working on something and heard the rod, looked and saw it go flying over the side.
    By By sabiki rod. Loser.
    DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 07-07-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Nice rod 92yj. I think I'm gonna give that a try. I have a bunch of broken rods but the handles are good. Thanks for the info DockRat.

Excellent work and ingenious man! I like it! I may have to make one myself. Good info there DR.
    Be proud, and go catch some bait!

GM<><

Good job, looks very good.

what is the point in a rod made for sabiki rigs?

Can't you just use any freshwater rod for that same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lopez View Post
    what is the point in a rod made for sabiki rigs?

Can't you just use any freshwater rod for that same thing?
    I think a sabiki rod is just stiff so you can get your bait quickly. Plus I think it's meant for a crap load of abuse.

Sabiki rods are hollow at the end so you can reel the sabiki into the rod.

TS

the thing looks great but i am confused as to its use. i am guessing from the info that dockrat gave you use it to catch bait fish?? is that correct