Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Mushy perch?

Default Mushy perch?

Saw the "mushy trout" thread and it reminded me of a question I had. The last 2 times I've cooked barred surf perch the meat has been mushy. I've cooked them a lot and it's always turned out good, except for the last couple times. I tried cooking it longer than usual... still mushy. Tried frying it.. still mushy. Is it maybe how I'm storing them? After I catch them they're in an ice chest for about an hour before I fillet them, but I usually just fill it with sea water and not ice. could that be the problem? or is it how i'm cooking it?

Yes that's the problem. If you can get them home on ice, they usually arent as mushy.

Dont store them in sea water, its better to just put them in there without water.

regardless though, they tend to have a very bland flavor- even when handled right.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    Yes that's the problem. If you can get them home on ice, they usually arent as mushy.

Dont store them in sea water, its better to just put them in there without water.

regardless though, they tend to have a very bland flavor- even when handled right.
    Cool thanks for the info. It was probably cause I let them soak in the water. I've always kinda like perch. Bland, but it picks up the seasoning well...