Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Baja Trip - Fun Fishing 7/5 - 7/11 w-pics

Default Baja Trip - Fun Fishing 7/5 - 7/11 w-pics

Made the 560 mile drive from the San Fernando Valley, to a little town called Santa Rosalillita, with my ole time fishing buddy, Joe “triggerman”, on Monday 7/5, and came back on Sunday 7/11. We got 5 days of fishing in from both the beach and from Joe’s 15ft Klamath skiff, that we beach launched each morning.

Unfortunately, we didn’t catch any Yellowtail or White Sea Bass, but we did catch close to 200+ Calico Bass and Sand Bass, one ten pound Bonito, some Whitefish. Plus a couple Spotfin Croaker and Halibut while surf fishing from the beach.

Here is an 8 pound Spotfin Croaker that ate a Krocodile lure.

Halibut on the Krocodile.

Calico Bass with a gold spawning nose.

Average size Calico Bass.

I had another fun-filled and safe fishing trip down in Baja. I can’t wait to go again.

Till next tide,

What that's all the pics?!?! Looks like an epic trip man WTG!

Beautiful pictures and excellent fishing Vince...
    How is the Klamath compare to your Red Drum (Duro) ? Do you need a 4-wheel drive truck to beach launch the boat ? Does the Federalies giving you any problem during the trip ?
    thx, jim

nice trip that spotfin looks very tasty to bad about the no yellows or WSB looks like a great trip non the less thanks for posting .

Congrats on your trip, thats a toad spot, thanks for sharing.

holy crap, wtg on that spotfin!! Croak-zilla!

Quote Originally Posted by huukup12 View Post
    Beautiful pictures and excellent fishing Vince...
    How is the Klamath compare to your Red Drum (Duro) ? Do you need a 4-wheel drive truck to beach launch the boat ? Does the Federalies giving you any problem during the trip ?
    The Duroboat has a thick metal reinforced keel strip on the boat and the Klamath doesn't. If the Klamath did come with a heavy duty reinfornced keel strip, it would be a much better boat than the Duroboat, and a lot drier ride. However; after numerous pulls across the beach, the keel area on the Klamath has a tendency to get holes in the keel near the front, and start leaking, which can put an end to your off-the-beach fishing trip. My buddy reinforced the keel on his Klamath but it began to leak on the last day that we were there, so he now has to weld another metal strip down the keel this week.

You definitely need a 4X4 on the beach to launch the boat, and knock on wood, we've never had any harrassment issues with the Police or civilians.
    Last edited by Red Drum; 07-14-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Wow, I was there too at the same time but had a very different experience. I'll report in detail and with pics early next week, but we launched from Sta. Rosalita also and did most of our fishing around San Marcos. I got two yellowtail each for the first couple of days. Started in the 22-25 lb range and topped out with a 33 lb. yellow on day three. Others came along, but the 33lber made my trip. We also scored on a few Cabrilla, Bonito, and a lone Bull Dorado. We had several opportunities with Marlin, but the were not interested in our fresh offerings or feathers. PM me and we'll compare notes on locations.

Mojave River Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave River Angler View Post
    Wow, I was there too at the same time but had a very different experience.
    Mojave River Angler
    No you weren't. You were many hundreds of miles away from where we were fishing. Good Luck!

Ok, I see the difference now. You were in Santa Rosalillita, Baja.
    I was in Sant Rosalita...down a few more miles and on the other side of the peninsula fishing a different body of water.

Names too similar. Thanks for the correction. Just one more thing to learn about Baja. I'll post up my report today or tomorrow.

MRA