Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: Please Pray for Dana...

damn this is crazy! i havent been around much and when i come back im sad to hear this news...dana was a awesome guy and a real kool kat.. my prayers go out to his family...gods speed brotha u will be missed..

I couldn't make it out to the service due to work... Even though we only meet twice, Dana now knows how much I looked up to him and how much he will be missed. Like I said before, Dana and all you guys have opened my eyes to a whole new world and for that, I Thank You. RIP DANA 'aka' F57

what can i say, dana is an incredible person. im still at a loss for words. thank you for EVERYTHING you've done. i will miss our conversations every year at the fred hall show. RIP buddy.

I can hardly believe it. It doesn't seem that long of a time since my absence from these boards and when I checked on a post this morning, at the bottom of one of the posts read "R.I.P Dana". So I come here and find this. All of us here are shocked and deeply saddened to hear the news. I've only met Dana a couple of times, he always had a smile on his face and was a real pleasure to talk to. My condolences go out to his family. Dana, you will be missed.

I, never had the privledge to meet Dana, I know this site has changed many lives, and brought people together who have a passion for fishing. I myself, have made several friends who I met on this site, who I fish with regularly.

From the responses on this thread, I can see the Dana is highly respected, and appreciated for all he has done for others. It's evident by the many photos of events, people looked forward to the all the events, and for obvious reasons.

My condolences to his family and friends, a great man will be missed, but his presence and spirit will live on.

R.I.P Dana, sorry I never made the time to meet you, you did have an impact in my life with the friends I made from FNN.

Bassguy
    Last edited by bassguy; 07-18-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Default It is done...

Thank you everybody for your tremendous outpouring of love and support for Dana and his family. It was a beautiful memorial service and all those in attendance can attest that we sent our friend off in "style".

Rest in Peace Dana... until we meet again my friend.

Eulogies Recap of the Memorial Service for Fisherman 57.

Eulogy: Richard Allen (Sansou)
    I have been a close friend of Dana's for the past 5 years or so. Without fail we
    would call each other every evening to talk about things, complain about things,
    or basically gossip like old ladies. You get to know someone very well after
    speaking with them every night for years.

When asked to to give a eulogy, I figured it would not be very difficult as Dana
    has many admirable qualities, none of which would be difficult to speak about.
    He was:
    -genuine
    -giving
    -he had a good sense of humor...as Debbie just attested to.
    -he had a strong sense of integrity...in fact you people that are present that
    did business with him would not be here if he didn't. You are likely here
    because you respect him for that.
    -he was a good son: he took care of his parents like a good son. He was still
    taking care of his mother by himself until his passing.

Any one of these qualities we would agree would make you a good person. Dana
    was all of these and more.

In thinking and preparing for a meaningful eulogy, it was suggested I share a
    story or incident that best reflected the essence of Dana. The thing that best
    defines him as a person. That was difficult, because Dana was many things, and
    speaking of just one it seemed to me neglected the other great qualities he had.

After much thought, I come to the conclusion that Dana was what we call a
    "stand-up guy". He liked to quote his father that said "you must do the right
    thing even when no one is looking". You see, it is easy to be a good guy when
    everyone is looking, but a stand-up guy does it when no one is looking.

Dana was just that. A stand-up guy. There are people in this room who know
    that about him. He has done many good deeds that no one will know about. He
    would go out of his way to help someone without making it publicly
    known....there are people here in this room that are recipients of that. One
    small trivial example you may have seen is when he has given out fishing
    t-shirts to someone who couldn't afford one, just so they could be part of Team
    57. If the t-shirt made someone happy, then it was good enough payment for
    Dana. that's the kind of guy he was.

He was the real deal.

He was my friend, and I miss him dearly.

Eulogy: Terry Lairson (Pontoon)
    As Dana and I became friends it didn’t take me long to realize how important his family and friends were to him.
    Dana told me many times about how much he loved his parents and how grateful he was for everything they did for him as he was growing up.
    His parents raised a loving and generous son.
    A true gentleman, that I had the privilege to call my friend.
    Dana also told me that he loved and appreciated the companionship of Donna and her two children who’s love for him brought out the best in an already great man.

The last few days I have taken the time to reflect back on some of our Team 57 gatherings. Although, they were all a success it was the Legends events that everyone enjoyed the most and the ones that Dana would pull out all the stops and put in his best efforts and hardest work.

After each event Dana would take the time to make a report of his own and he would make sure to thank everyone who attended and thanked everyone who helped out in any way during the day. He also made sure to recognize every individual, business or group that donated raffle gifts and thanked them for their part in making the event a success. All the while never asking for anything in return or taking the credit he deserved.

That was just Dana’s generous nature…It was the way Fisherman 57 rolled.

To Dana the best reward were the reports and pictures everyone posted after the events. I know he found great joy in reading the comments about what a memorable and fun day everyone had and to see the pictures showing smiles and laughter and everyone just having fun. This only gave him the drive to start planning the next event and gave him the drive to make it bigger and better than the last.

Although Dana is no longer with us he didn’t leave without giving us one final gift. He gave us Team 57 and the Legacy of “Family, Friends, Fun and Fishing”
    It will be up to us to keep this legacy alive through our support of the Fisherman 57 Foundation and any related tournaments or events in his honor.
    But what would be most important to Dana would be that the Team 57 family and friends continue to get together to have fun enjoying the sport of fishing.

Dana was our friend, Dana was my friend and I will miss him.

Eulogy: Dick Giuliani (Bob Sands Tackle)
    One evening an old Cherokee Indian told his grandson about the constant battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all.
    One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather:
    "Which wolf wins? ...The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Those of us who had the pleasure of knowing our beloved Dana, know very well, which wolf he fed and nourished. Dana personified GOOD as just defined.

No man I have ever known was more attentive and devoted to his family, the friends he so cherished, and the sport he loved so dearly. I know this provided for him the fullest exhilaration of life. His determination, vitality and contagious excitement permeated his every endeavor, and was surely the essence of his being. With this in mind, please understand, that while we all fiercely mourn the loss of our friend, we somehow know that Dana would much prefer, that rather than mourn his death we celebrate his life. we will always celebrate, his friendship, the spirit he always exhibited, and his unbridled enthusiasm for everything he did.

We miss him terribly and can only close with I love you , ......and "GOODNIGHT SWEET PRINCE"

Eulogy: Arthur Lai (Wingnut)
    I just asked Dana to give me the strength to deliver this... somehow right now, I know his hand is on my shoulder.

Can any of us imagine that this would be our next Team 57 event...?
    Dana did have a way of getting us all together didn't he? Yes, he did...

Thank you all for being here...

What's up brother??? That how Dana would greet me every time he calls or whenever we saw each other. He was more than just a friend, I consider him a brother.

Now, I can stand up here and talk about Dana all day. We all know what kind of man he was.

But, I'll focus on a few things about him that really shines, really stands out for me.

For those who know me personally, knows that it takes me a very long time to choose my friends... and even longer in changing them. Well, you don’t really choose your friends, God give them to you.
    But when I do get to choose, I look for three things, three qualities that make up the foundation of a good person.

That potential friend, must be Honest... Hardworking... and Loyal. With these three qualities a person can conquer the world. Dana had all of these... and more.

Honesty... He was brutally honest. Dana would rather hurt you with the truth, than to mislead you with lies. He would tell you the truth, because it was for your own good. I appreciated that, because honesty is the key to any friendship... any relationship.

Hardworking... Most people know of Dana as one of the admins for our website. But only a handful of us know the true weight that bears down on those big shoulders every single day. I've witness Dana taking care of his father, Daniel, during his illness all the way through to his passing about a year and a half ago. To the dedication, the care, the support and the patience he gave to his mother, Maxine. He also worked very hard to make Donna and the kids happy. On top of all this... finding the time to make sure Team 57 has the best events… ever.
    Performing labor of Love, that's when Dana is at his best.

Loyalty... Dana was fiercely loyal, especially to his friends and loved ones. He would go to the darkest places to find a friend that is in need or reach down into the abyss to pull you out from the depth of despair. He would give you the shirt off his back, and often does. There’s nothing that he would not do for a friend.
    Unfortunately, I will not have his friendship for life... but he will always be my lifelong friend... and I will miss him.

Standing here right now, I'm going to make myself a promise... and a promise to all of you. That after today, I will no longer mourn what I have lost. Instead, I will celebrate and cherish what I have gained just from knowing this man. To do my best to pay forward the friendship that he has given me... and I encourage for all of you to do the same... because that's the best way to honor Dana's memory.

Thank you for your continued prayers, love and support for Dana and his family.

At this time, I would like to play a video, courtesy of my friend Steve (Flyngby). Thank you Steve for your special gift and dedication to Dana. Afterwards... we will take Dana to his final resting place... next to his Father.

(If possible, we will try to post the video at a later time)

Donna will post her closing statement shortly...

Default Chance of a lifetime.....

Wow....I don't know where to begin. Spending the last couple of years with Dana was nothing short of incredible. A day didnt go by without him showing the kids and I how important we were to him. He just fit into our family.

A gift Dana gave me was sharing his "family" with me. From my very 1st event I realized Team 57 and its members were something I wanted to be apart of and share with him. Like so many people have stated, Dana was very caring and generous. He showed that continually in everything he did. Because of sharing this with him I have made many good life long friends.

Thank you each and every one of you for taking Kaity, Brennan, and I into your family and surrounding us with your prayers, support, concern, and kindness. I truly couldn't have gotten through this without all of your support. It is something I will carry with me forever.

Dana will always be watching over me, the kids, and all of you. He will always be remembered for all his good work and dedication. I know none of us will ever look at the number 57 and not think of him.

I miss you.....Our memories keep you close and keep me smiling.

Donna

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546