Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mushy trout?

Default Mushy trout?

Does anyone know how to prevent trout from getting mushy? I understand that if fish is left in water after they're dead, they can absorb water and become mushy, so I always bleed them and put them on ice as soon as I catch them, but I still occasionally get one or two that end up soggy and with no texture whatsoever.

Could it just be the trout itself? I've caught a couple of trout on the same day, baked them up using the same technique and in the same oven, but sometimes one will be mushy while the others are perfectly fine.

Any ideas of what I can do to prevent this?

Before (cooking ??) lay them on a layer of paper towels, let the towels absorve any moister. What type of cooking do you do? Like BBQ, smoked,oven baked or oven broil?

I always throw mine in the cooler once they are caught and I don't have a problem, but if they are on a stringer in the water they should be good as long as they are alive. Oh, and one thing I learned the hard way, don't ever troll with your stringer hanging off the boat. For some reason the fish get flooded and will be nothing but mush when you get back in to clean them.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fish View Post
    I always throw mine in the cooler once they are caught and I don't have a problem, but if they are on a stringer in the water they should be good as long as they are alive. Oh, and one thing I learned the hard way, don't ever troll with your stringer hanging off the boat. For some reason the fish get flooded and will be nothing but mush when you get back in to clean them.
    Or if you're really unlucky, you'll end up with nothing but chum!

Granny,
    The last time I went trolling with my fish on a stringer in the water, I LOST ALL MY FISH ALONG WITH MY STRINGER.

I carry a few small trash bags in the truck ,i place them in a bag and tie it up before placing them in the ice ,,seems to help

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fish View Post
    Especially with a metal stringer. My dumb butt left the stringer in the water when I started up my boat. All of a sudden I hear metal on metal... WHAT!?! Darn stringer hitting the propeller. The prop was fine but I can't say the same for the $2 stringer. At least the one fish I had on there stayed on. HAHAHA! Good times.

mostly this is a result of the fish taking alot of damage. be careful with your fish, if they get smashed, and flop around on the ground for too long, the flesh gets damaged (mushy). Also, leaving them in the water makes them even easier to damage.

I brain-spike my fish to stop them from thrashing around. I use a small thin knife for this. You can then easily bleed them out, since the brain and heart work independently from one-another.

if you can put them on ice after capture, gut them immediately, as the organs will start to digest the fish from the inside-out.

Different size fish require different cook times. Is it possible your mushy fish wasn't cooked thoroughly?

I have noticed that wrapping the fish in foil is quite popular. Although that's the my dad cooked them on camping trips when I was a kid, I have learned that the method of "poaching" the fish wrapped in foil is among my least favorite. It often leaves the fish with a mushy texture and a muddy taste.

Thanks for all the tips -- I've also noticed that it only happens when I gut-and-bake them in foil, and never when I filet-and-fry them, so I'm thinking that it's either due the way I'm handling them during cleaning, or the cooking method itself. This last batch I've tried to handle them gently, put them on ice and keep them dry, hopefully that does the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast