Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *Alligator Gar at El Dorado wilderness area 3 lake*

Quote Originally Posted by socalsteez View Post
    most if not all the gar that may be found in these lakes are regular florida gar or tropical gar...not alligator gar which are much harder to come by in the fish keeping hobby

having kept these types of gar w/ bass none the less - i can tell you that the gar will have a harder time competing with bass than vice a versa....

it would take 50+ at least per lake to have any impact on there little mirco eco systems....a number which i doubt will be reached
    Your observations in a crowded aquarium are NOT a proper example of natural behavior. Not only do most gar get bigger than bass, they also regularly prey on them in the wild. Aside from the traumatogenic problems they pose, gar also have highly toxic eggs and milt. Any fish that eat the eggs will in turn, become toxic themselves, poisoning lots of birds.

It is far more likely that these are spotted gar, which are far more popular and grow large enough to swallow adult bass.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    Your observations in a crowded aquarium are NOT a proper example of natural behavior. Not only do most gar get bigger than bass, they also regularly prey on them in the wild. Aside from the traumatogenic problems they pose, gar also have highly toxic eggs and milt. Any fish that eat the eggs will in turn, become toxic themselves, poisoning lots of birds.

It is far more likely that these are spotted gar, which are far more popular and grow large enough to swallow adult bass.
    crowded aquarium........yup, i had a 10gal w/ no filtration and 20 fish....not over 900gals of various tanks.....

good note on the toxicity - but again, i can almost guarantee no city park lake will have an even close to reproducing population of gar....

i have seen more "natural" behavior of gar than you may imagine....

and if you think a 5lb gar can "swallow" a 5lb bass......trust me when i say a 5lb bass can harass, out-compete, thrive, etc.....a 5lb gar....
    Last edited by socalsteez; 06-30-2010 at 08:53 AM.

this explains alot..

if anyone sees this thing snag it and throw it in the trash

i wonder how long these fish have been in here. ive also heard of alot worse fish being dumped in eldo than gar. a few years ago there were dozens of fish washed up dead on the shore with bites taken out of them.

it would be very interesting to see what kinda fish would come out of these lakes if the lakes were all drained.
    Last edited by eldo69; 07-09-2010 at 01:55 PM.

i heard about a gar being aught at alondra.heard it was pretty big.it was given to a pet shop somewhere in hawthorne or lawndale , can't remember which. but i guess it's better than having a snakehead in so cal lakes.

It's a Pike Cichlid. A very common South American aquarium fish that people let go in parks/lakes because they outgrow their tanks and eat all the other fish.

lmao....so many myths about gars in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny300 View Post
    lmao....so many myths about gars in this thread.
    I haven't seen the Gar or a Pike Cichlid at Eldo in person, but I find it hard to believe that the 2 could be confused. 2 totally different fish.

This thread starter, OnlyHappyHooknHawgz's certainly would know the difference too as he used to fish the A-pond quite often back when the Gars were still there. He probably seen the Gars more than anyone.

During the last 2 years at Alondra I occasionally saw the Gars and they were clearly Gars. Nothing like seeing a an air breathing Gar over 2 or 3 ft long swimming along the shore at a very slow speed and with there head out of the water. They clearly owned the lake and had an impressive look to them. Plus I saw one of them get caught and it was definitely a Gar.

Because Fishmounter and OnlyHappyHooknHawgz's are both reputable sources, I personally think the lake has both species of fish.

-b

Yeah there used to be Gars in Alondra, but they are all gone now :(

MDC Fisheries Supervisor, Chris Kennedy:

"Many people think alligator gars are eating sport fish, but that's just not true," Kennedy said. "Past studies indicate that alligator gar feed mainly as scavengers, and after When we pump the stomachs of tracked alligator gar we find that they are also feeding on non-game species, they're feeding as scavengers, which helps to clean our water systemscommunities and balances riverine fish communities."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny300 View Post
    MDC Fisheries Supervisor, Chris Kennedy:

"Many people think alligator gars are eating sport fish, but that's just not true," Kennedy said. "Past studies indicate that alligator gar feed mainly as scavengers, and after When we pump the stomachs of tracked alligator gar we find that they are also feeding on non-game species, they're feeding as scavengers, which helps to clean our water systemscommunities and balances riverine fish communities."

One note that many don't know is the Gars eggs are toxic to other fish. Certainly it would worry the bass community, but it can't be good for the other fish who might eat eggs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast