Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *Alligator Gar at El Dorado wilderness area 3 lake*

I hope you guys have better luck than we do at Alondra...cause the gars keep getting caught and released back into the lake. There are several mis-imformed bass fisherman who believe the gars pose no more threat to the lake than a nice LMB which is totally not accurate.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHappyHooknHawgz View Post
    the gar i saw was lurking in and out of the reeds in the wilderness area 3 lake (the lake with the concrete walkway around it) and it was on the opposite side of the paddle boat rental dock. (its in the same place as in a picture of a nice cat someone posted in the http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...-are-going-off thread)

** On a quick sidenote** just got back from el dorado early morning fish session ... my fishing buddy caught 2 bass about 1/2 lb each and a crappie that was just about the same size.. and i caught 2 bass, one was close to 2 lbs and the other was close to 3 1/2

I took the picture of that cat when I was at Dorado last time. The pic was taken on the south shore of the big lake on the west side of the south canal. Either way, I can guarantee the gar will be swimmin the lake nice and slow because he will own the lake.

so people release these things in the lakes for fun?

I was wondering how my guy was doing, he's still alive after I let him go huh. Thats sweet!! Lol J/K

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish420 View Post
    I was wondering how my guy was doing, he's still alive after I let him go huh. Thats sweet!! Lol J/K
    Haha!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dfisher View Post
    so people release these things in the lakes for fun?
    Maybe. There are assholes like that out there..

But it's likely fish that were just too expensive and demanding for stupid aquarists that dont know a thing about fish.

I think california should ban/restrict air-breathing fish.. these are largely highly invasive, and destructive fish.

Gar are very aggressive and are known to kill and maul much larger fish. this is the main threat.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHappyHooknHawgz View Post
    ... my fishing buddy caught 2 bass about 1/2 lb each and a crappie that was just about the same size.. and i caught 2 bass, one was close to 2 lbs and the other was close to 3 1/2
    What did you catch'em on?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish420 View Post
    i was wondering how my guy was doing, he's still alive after i let him go huh. Thats sweet!! Lol j/k
    Save the Gar !

Save the Humans !

DR

Quote Originally Posted by bman90278 View Post
    I hope you guys have better luck than we do at Alondra...cause the gars keep getting caught and released back into the lake. There are several mis-imformed bass fisherman who believe the gars pose no more threat to the lake than a nice LMB which is totally not accurate.

brian
    most if not all the gar that may be found in these lakes are regular florida gar or tropical gar...not alligator gar which are much harder to come by in the fish keeping hobby

having kept these types of gar w/ bass none the less - i can tell you that the gar will have a harder time competing with bass than vice a versa....

it would take 50+ at least per lake to have any impact on there little mirco eco systems....a number which i doubt will be reached

** On a quick sidenote** just got back from el dorado early morning fish session ... my fishing buddy caught 2 bass about 1/2 lb each and a crappie that was just about the same size.. and i caught 2 bass, one was close to 2 lbs and the other was close to 3 1/2[/QUOTE]

Hey we went fishing today at El Dorado too and got skunked. where were you fishing? and what lures did you use?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast