Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *Alligator Gar at El Dorado wilderness area 3 lake*

Default *Alligator Gar at El Dorado wilderness area 3 lake*

So im having a fun morning walking around the area 3 lake, catching a few bass, concentrating primarily on fishing the reeds as im watching small bass darting out from the reeds chasing baitfish, and hanging tight to the reeds-a few of the bigger bass just sitting still. I change to flylining a plastic swimbait and flip it into a pocket within the reeds and see my swimbait being stalked by something. As it came a little closer, im still staring at the shadow thats following close behind my lure and think: "hmm.. thats definitely not a bass.. or a bluegill, crappie, or catfish.. and i know thats definitely not a trout either..." As i reeled in a little closer (by this time my baits only about 5 - 7 ft from shore in front of me) the shadow lost interest in my swimbait and turned to swim back into the reeds, this is when i realized what kind of fish it was: it was a gar. When it turned, the distinct long nose and sleek body of the fish was a dead giveaway. It was about 1 1/2 - 2 ft long. I sat and watched the gar for about 5 more minutes as it patrolled the reeds, chasing bass out of their hiding spots until i lost sight of it and it disappeared. Anyways... just remember that you heard it from me here first about the gar in el dorado lake (just like before when i was first to report the gar in alondra :P)

Dang man, that sucks. Gar are no-joke. A single large gar can decimate a small lake.

At least you know where it haunts. Hopefully it doesnt turn out to be a breeding population. That would suck.

A guy got one at one of the lakes in OC and it was the same size..

bring the gaff next time out hehe..

New item to throw in the tackle bag... My .22lr.

I'm heading out there tomorrow to try to catch it.

Oh hell no. Im gonna go around some park lakes late at night and catch one of these bastards red-handed.

Damn irresponsible aquarists!

kill that ****** gar where exactly is this i might just go kill it my self

anybody want the gar after i catch it if not im chopping him up throwing him in the trash can!
    Last edited by BrandonFish; 06-29-2010 at 03:09 AM.

looks like no ninja wading here...lol

the gar i saw was lurking in and out of the reeds in the wilderness area 3 lake (the lake with the concrete walkway around it) and it was on the opposite side of the paddle boat rental dock. (its in the same place as in a picture of a nice cat someone posted in the http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...-are-going-off thread)

** On a quick sidenote** just got back from el dorado early morning fish session ... my fishing buddy caught 2 bass about 1/2 lb each and a crappie that was just about the same size.. and i caught 2 bass, one was close to 2 lbs and the other was close to 3 1/2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast