Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light line fishing

great tip man many people say get it in fast but I think just like you make it fight as long as it wants thats one of the bests things about fishing.

Its fun to fish with light tackle but if I were CPRing I wouldn't want to get a fish all exhausted just to throw it back. That's probably why bass fisherman/fisher-women use heavier line, that way they hook the fish, bring it in, release it and off to the next victim.

I fish nothing but 2 lb test on ultralight rods for big Bluegill at Lake Perris. We have caught some very big fish, including catfish and carp, bass, trout and big crappie. You HAVE to have a reel that has an ultra-smooth drag when using 2 lb line. As for Circle hooks, I ordered some black # 8 Eagle Claw from Cabelas. I want to try them out with crickets. Got to remember the no-hook-set thing. I do like the fact that fewer fish are hooked in the throat with circle hooks. I mostly jig fish so deep hooking fish hardly ever happens.

I have been using 2 pound line a lot, but my reel handle fell off after I finished fishing last Friday. Well, I have another reel with 2 pound line on it, fortunately. I have to check my drag a lot, too. It does need to be smooth and you need to make sure to tie good knots. A lot of the Bluegills I have been catching on flies are swallowing it, but I am able to remove the hook okay and release the young little ones to grow up. In any case, you normally get a lot more bites on 2 pound test. Earlier this year, few fish were even biting at Perris unless one was using 2 pound line, at least from the docks. I also use 2 pound line for Trout quite a often, since the water is usually very clear in the places I fish, and the fish get line-shy very easily.

Here is my recent catch on 2lb line. Talk about a fight. There were also weeds to drag her through. This bass spawned about a week or two before i caught her. The water was very clear also. There was a few other anglers thinking i was crazy for using 2 lb test.

FISHINGBEE
    Last edited by FISHINGBEE; 07-05-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12