Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: GARRRRRR!!! Monte Carlo: PM 1/2 Day 6-28-10

Default GARRRRRR!!! Monte Carlo: PM 1/2 Day 6-28-10

Hopped onto the PM Monte Carlo today. Danny was at the helm so I knew we were gonna get bit.

We looked around out on the Horseeshoe for a little while then settled the anchor down on a school that would pretty much stay around the boat for the duration of the trip. Nope, never had to move...
    "One stop shopping", as Capt Danny put it.

Now, it wasn't wide open by any means but we did plenty of damage anyway. The fish were a little picky on the jigs today. I did manage to get my limit and then some, though. Bait was automatic but I never use anything alive whenever targeting GARRR.

By the end of the day, we had about 5 or 6 dogs on us, harrassing us and the garrr so we called it a trip. There was 6 other boats with us. I saw the Freelance, Matt Walsh, Sport King, Nautilus, Victory and one other that I am not sure of. We also had a half dozen private boaters around us.

Saw most fish taken on blue or blue/white today and a slow, surface grind got most of the licks. Tady 45 or C worked fine.

Water was clean blue out there, beautiful for only being 2 or 3 miles off the breakwall!

It was a good trip but I just may need to make another run to get my fill for the season...

'hawg

Hi Ambassadorhawg,

Gar still hangin' in there huh !? Dang .... wish they would go away and the Bass move in ..... I'm spoiled !! I'm going for one gar a trip then I fish or Bass. With the dogs ... guess you wern't able to use your Bass gear !!

Thanks for the info,

JapanRon

Default There were a few Sand & Chrome Bass taken

At the end of the day, I did see a few Sand Bass come out of the bags. I recall hearing a few guys give up on the Garrr and fish the bottom for bass.

The last few days, the AM half days were fishing Sand bass/Sculpin and Garr in the PM. The bass and sculpin counts have been good, too.

The Chrome bass (Mackerel) were taken on chrome spoons, LOL!!

'hawg

congrats on the sar slay, thanks for the report.

Hi again Ambassadorhawg,

Surprised you didn't get more Calicos. My buddy got a limit of Sandies fishin' bait to 3lbs. Last trip out ... we had a mini-flurry on the Calicos for those fishing anchovies and even some iron but it was at the end of the day in the 3pm washing machine blow !! A little earlier, it looked like the classic Calico WO bite condition of a slight chop, downhill, clean water but I ain't fightin' the selfishness of the 'inept' flylinein' idiots and clowns doing anything and being soooooo desperate to catch just one more fish to take home 'uncleaned'. in those conditions, I usually just chill the last half-hour to 45 minutes. :)

Keep up the cool reports,

JapanRon