Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logs on the chew at the Shoe!!!!

Default Logs on the chew at the Shoe!!!!

Went out today on my PB and caught 3 nice size logs anchored up with at least 17 moo-moos and at least that many pb's. Wasn't wide open, but a decent pick w/boils every once in a while, a ton of bait, and LOTS of birds. Got a nice mix of dines and chovies at the bait barge.

We caught all ours on dines at anchor with the rods in the holders. Good success on the circle hooked fish. Biggest barrie was around 7lbs. Caught them only WITHOUT steel leaders and didn't loose one fish. Steel leaders did not get bit. Caught them all on on 10lb test.

After 1:30, we came back into Alamitos Bay and drifted sardines across the main channel. Had lots of short bites on dines, so switched to choves and within 2 minutes hooked a flatty at 19". Tossed it back and that was it except for lots of short bites. In retrospect, maybe I should have tried a 2" grub to see what was smackin our baits.

Water was sloppier than I would have expected, but not bad. Wind was never an issue. Clouds burned off at 1:30.

TIP!- For those launching out of Davies, it's about 6-7 miles to the shoe. You cut off over half by running the inside of the wall until Angel's Gate, then cutting over to the Shoe for only 2.something more miles.

Good luck out there kids!
    Last edited by Greg Madrigal; 06-25-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: add pics

Thanks G for the info.

im heading out tomorrow in my boat!
    yes i still fish!!!!!!

I love the saltwater lingo from capt Madgi

WTG Greg!

TD

WTG on the Slime Sticks.
    I heard there was some WSB on the shoe mid column under the cuda ? Did you see any get caught ?
    DR

Greg. Most excellent job sir...

Cant believe Andy is going fishing!!! :-)

Stop it greggie youre killin me,those are some nice pencils,the only logs you know about are the one ones you drop of in the bathroom,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,

Hi Greg Madrigal,

Nice report and pics. Hope you bled those guys right away ... so's the blood line all but disappears.

The last two years I fished bait .... I used nothing but circle hooks. 100% ON about the no need for wire leaders and part of it is the circle hook's way of hooking and keeping the line away from teeth !! I was looking at the single-wire tungston leaders recently .... nice.

Neither barely~cuda nor stovepipes .... nice fishys.

JapanRon

congrats on the log slay, thanks for the report and pics..

HERES WHAT SOME HALFASS LOGS LOOK LIKE ,MY FIRST WAS 44YRS AGO AT CATALINA,,,,,,,,,,WHERES MY WHITE SURFACE JIG FISHBONES THE ONE WITH THE RED SPOT ON IT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CUDASONLY,,,,,LOL,,,,,

Thanks for the report, pics and info Greg.
    Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast