Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: catalina bound?

Default catalina bound?

Hey guys, i'm a fresh water guy and fish the salt on pb about twice a year. my buddy just picked up a 19 foot sea ray, do you guys think we can make it to catalina on that. i keep tellin lets DO IT! be hes not sure as we both don't no much about the salt water. Im also wondering how to get to the flats and horseshoe...been there on the pb's but never payed any attention? Any advice would be extremly helpful, even if you can tell me where to get some good maps. thanks.

no suggestions?

Make sure you have a marine radio.Channel 16 for coast guard and vessel assist. Should have a GPS. Handhelds are cheap. Can check the marine forcast http://www.wrh.noaa.gov A 19ft Sea Ray will have a Small gas tank (watch fuel closely) Leave early 6 AM? Return early 2 PM? Check with other small boat guys for best departure times. Afternoon wind/waves dont concern me much with my 26ft Sea Ray :D
    Winds/waves can get pretty nasty in the afternoon. Boats under 23ft can get waves over there bows fairly often.
    Davies or better yet Cabrillo would be least distance to Catalina.
    23miles/Davies to Avalon 22miles/Cabrillo to Avalon
    Middle of the Island Longpoint is like 19 nautical miles from Davies.
    Could pick up some waterproof laminated charts at westmarine or boaters world. Lots of really good imfo on them
    Good Luck :shock: :lol:
    Good idea to peek into the engine compartment every so often.Make sure everything is Hunky Dorey

go as EARLY as possible 5-6 am (day break) it is completely flat and check the forecast for swells.

try horseshoe first and if you feel comfy with that then go to catalina&#46; i have a 17' crestliner and i know i can make it on calm mornings&#46; horseshoe is just outside of the longbeach breakwater&#46; break water is 5 miles out&#46; good place to start with a new boat&#46; be safe first&#46;