Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a simple cricket trap?

Default How to make a simple cricket trap?

I've got quite a few of the critters around my house, particulary in my garden shed out back. Everytime I see them I think man what great bluegill bait! What's the best way to catch these guys? Figure somebody else on here must be catching their own and has some good ideas.

Thanks

might catch 2-3, they run pretty cheap so i never waste time catching them but back when i kept many many reptiles i had a tub of a few hundred tip over.. damn dog.. best way for me to catch em was duct tape face up along the walls here and there with a chunk of apple on it or dog food, got most of them the rest showed up dead after starving/dehydration... seen traps online but again in your yard ur gonna be lucky to get 5 a night then gotta put up with chirping galore unless u clip the males wings off or keep em outside

i here you can cut out some sort of french bread to where they can crawl into it and stay in but not so sure how it works just something i have herd good luck you may get some other critters in the mix

Heck, maybe I will just buy them at the store. How much are they running nowadays? I just thought it might be nice to set a trap the night before an outing and have some free bait, save a trip to the store too.

they breed easily, could always catch a few just use most the males for bait keep like 3 and clip their wings so no noise then load up on females,, just do a search on cricket breeding, u can get a decent colony going in a 10 gallon rubbermaid, just use a smaller bowl or another shallow rubbermaid with moist potting soil for them to lay eggs in,, use another rubbermaid to put the egg trays in and before u know it u will have millions, the big black ones u find crawling around would be worth doing that with, the standard house crickets "brown ones u buy" are super easy though.. petstores sell em at around 9-12 cents each and if u hit a petco or petsmart ask one of the younger stoner looking guys they tend to be a lil more care free about dumping tons of extras in. dont remember how much they are at the bait shop, havent gotten em there in ages
    Last edited by madwire3; 06-21-2010 at 10:47 PM.

they are pretty cheap at most the bait shops i've hit up. Probably like 50 for $2 or so.

get some old newspaper (a small stack about 4 or 5 pages thick), lighty dip it in water to make it damp, and roll it up into a small cylinder with a diameter of about an inch or two. lay them along the side of walls and in dark areas where you think they will pass by. check back in a day or two, this simple trap will usually attract crickets, earwigs, and rollie pollies depending on where you leave it. just use caution when emptying the trap.

Red worms-- You can find these around decomposing plant matter, unlike earthworms, these thrive in temps over 90 degrees, commonly found in compost piles-- the perfect environment for them. They wiggle alot more than nightcrawlers, and release a pungent green slime-- great scent trail for catfishing. If the conditions are right, they are easy to find-- they dont burrow deep.

To get these worms, I dig a shallow hole in my soil, fill it with fresh lawn mulch. after that,I'll toss dry leaves, banana peels, apple-cores, potato skins, no meat though. All vegetable matter. fill the hole with water, and cover the hole completely with black plastic, and place a stone over the hole and plastic. this way it stays moist and warm. Check the hole and maintain moisture.. These worms reproduce faster than earthworms.

I then feed them corn meal, and they get way bigger.

Crickets like piles of wood, dry dead roots, stacked bricks.. I heard a hollowed-out loaf of bread works great. place the bread next to something you suspect has crickets inside.

Grasshoppers love tall grass, the huge american bird grasshopper loves tomato plants. Pictured is the Bird Grasshopper. They prefer cooler milder weather.

Tomatoes are the host for the Tobacco hornworm/ tomato hornworm sphinx moths. their caterpillars get huge -- up to 5 inches. They are bright green and reek like bruised tomato leaves. They work well for huge catfish. These caterpillars will happily eat fresh-sliced potato. A single hornworm can eat a whole idaho potato in a day. These are attracted to blooming tomato plants.

Jerusalem crickets like to hang out in well-developed root systems. These are large crickets, and can deliver a painful bite.

these also make good catfish bait, but bass love them more. You can attract these by planting a bunch of carrots, uncommon insects... You must dig to obtain these. they are excellent burrowers, and prefer well-drained soil. A mix of sand and potting soil creates the perfect medium.

Earthworms also prefer well-drained soil that stays moist but not soggy. A mix of sand and topsoil also creates a good earthworm habitat. They like dead leaves--which they eat.

Green Fig beetles (june bugs) love soft easily bruised fruits like apricots or melon rind. These are easy to thread on a hook, great for flylining since they float and struggle. they are also shiny and metallic, and flash like a spoon.

Their grubs (pictured below) like soft moist rotting wood, and feed on roots. Common lawn pest. Excellent fishing bait-- Grubs are quite large, bigger than the adults.
    Last edited by smokehound; 06-22-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madwire3 View Post
    if u hit a petco or petsmart ask one of the younger stoner looking guys they tend to be a lil more care free about dumping tons of extras in.
    Haha, that made me lol! What if he accidently slips a roach in there, do those make good bait? ;) Sorry couldn't help myself! lol

Yes, they make great bait! Especially Oriental Cockroaches. Hook them like you would hook a cricket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast