Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Go For Broke" 6 pack, July 14-2007

Man sorry to hear the captain and crew were retards. However the pics of the fish on deck make me enviouis for sure!

Duc

not bad at all...looks like you were the life of the party...AGAIN ...

I love this guy...he's so RAW!!!!

anyhow, I think you would have done so much better if you would have just pimped the ghost shrimp!!!!!....PIMP IN DISTRESS!! PIMP IN DISTRESS!!!!......LMAO&#46 ;....

Hey, Rich, next time bring those clients up to Balboa. I'll get you onto the Tilapia for half that price!

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad
    Hey, Rich, next time bring those clients up to Balboa. I'll get you onto the Tilapia for half that price!

How much for Surf perch fishing.

$400 fuel surcharge?!! Sounds like "Go for Broke" was what they were trying to do to you.

At least you got a few chickens. Nice variety of fish too.

You didn't do so badly. When you slay the albacore, you wind up giving 99% of them away anyhow cause there is no way on earth you can eat that much. Apparently, your clients also had enough fun to want to do it again in September.

Sansou,

First off, thanks for posting and at least you got a few chickens. One question, did you complain to the office about the problems you had with the boat and crew?

Rich, sounds like the Albies didn't get have their feed bags on, but you guys made the best of it. As you know the tuna fishing has been a hit miss down your way. You would have thought a six packer could have done a little better for your group, but obviously it wasn't the case this time out. Thanks for sharing your report.

Hey guys,

Thanks to you all for the kind words. I wish you all better luck than I had. They are certainly out there, it just was hard to get them to come up. I personally sat through a few hours glued to the sonar looking at baitballs punctuated with a couple scratches (albies) below. Those suckers wouldn't come up for nothin' even though they often were at as little as 50 feet below! We would circle and circle the baitballs.... but alas, no love.

Maybe things will change for the better next week.

Re: informing the landing:

There's not much you can do with 6 pack operators. I've since learned that most, not all, are privately owned and the only thing the landing does is take booking fees and charges for admin & logitical services & stuff.

This particular boat is owned by an older gent who also apparently owns 5 other boats (I don't know the names, but this is what the captain tells me). According to even his own crew, he is tough to work with, hence the reason we went out shorthanded and with a greenhorn deckie (the kid tried hard, bless his soul, but he was C L U E L E S S ...). In fact, we didn't even have a relief skipper. Jose, the skip (and also a relief captain from time to time on the Samurai), just came back from 2 other trips back to back, and then piloted our boat throughout the night and into the day! Yikes! He was clearly tired as heck, so we didn't push him to much.

As for the gas surcharge, well, you all know by now that it is the biggest farce running around the landings. I was a bit steamed at having to pay an extra $400 at last moment, but in the scheme of things, it isn't all that much in light of what I was already shelling out. Fortunately for them, one of the guys felt that the lady cook still deserved a tip, so he tipped her. I felt it was overtipping, but that is his perogative, and besides he's too nice a guy.

I cannot complain too much about this because I made some newbie mistakes booking these guys, but given the scheduling afforded to me from the guys going I was a little stuck with selection. I should have taken my lazy *** to the landing and personally taken a look at the boat, and maybe even shook hands with the captain. We made the best with what we were given, and I would like to think my friends had an enjoyable time despite the seasickness. Trust me when I say we made up for that with the festivities that ensued on land. San Diego in the summer is a haven for young impressionable tourists. Ha ha!! :wink:

I hope someone learns from my neophyte mistakes on taking on the chartermaster role.

I'll take another shot at whatever is out there in September.

I would love to see someone (other than myself!!!) put together a little FNN overnight albie trip! It can't be that hard! Someone please step up to the plate, it would be a blast!

Sansou

Quote Originally Posted by Sansou
    I would love to see someone (other than myself!!!) put together a little FNN overnight albie trip! It can't be that hard! Someone please step up to the plate, it would be a blast!
    Seriously! Funjunkie74 said he'll pay for everyone too :) jk hahahahaha

Nice work on the albies and sorry to hear about the mostly bunk report... I'm still in search of my first albie and YT (and pretty much anything that weighs more than 10 lbs for that matter...lol).

An FNN charter trip would definitely be fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12